Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

belt or beltless, that is the question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt or beltless, that is the question!

Back when I bought my first machine in 97 Polaris and 1 other mfr offered belt drive machines. I opted for a Polaris Xplorer. I did not really want to mess with shifting. I know some like it for some reason. I had a 5 speed toyota truck at one time and decided then that I would never have another manual (excepy my motorcycle) . I have never in that time had to replace a belt. Snowmobiles are cranking in excess of 150 HP through their "rubber bands" I burn wood & pull trees to the point that all 4 tires are spinning. I can make my machine go slow enough to ride it in a parade and start slow enough that my coffee don't spill. Label me as one of these "accomodate any overweight, unathletic, out of shape senior citizen (better get that winch as well...you're going to need it!)" . but I will stay with my auto anytime.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said, reconranger, and no offense to anyone who prefers the full auto drive over shifting, it is all in the preference of the rider. To me, it is just nice to have that control over my gear and rpm range, to be able to rev it right up to the limit on the open trail, then snick it up to that last gear, and feel it pull ahead is just not something I want to give up. Yes, I can buy a sport quad, but why, when my 4x4 Wolverine gives me everything I want, without being "underpowered and undersuspended" like someone here suggested. (especially after I get my 446 back from Fourstroketech, then I might have to go looking for a few "bigger" quads to give a run !!!)

Old 04-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

I'm a die-hard stick-shift guy. I would never own a car or truck that wasn't a manual if I was going to run it primarily at speed. I would opt for an auto if I built a dedicated rock-crawler, and that's about it. When I was looking to get a 4x4 utility quad I scoured the internet and other sources to find one with a manual transmission, but they just don't exist. As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't have a clutch, it isn't a manual. The equivalent to an auto clutch in the automotive world is an automatic with a manual valve-body. At the end of the day, it's an automatic. The biggest reason that I despise automatics in cars and trucks is that they lack the control of a manual and they tend to shift exactly when you don't want them to. However, with a CVT the power is always right there. You don't have to wait for the tranny to down-shift, the power just rolls in seamlessly. I was very skeptical at first, but now I'd take a CVT over an auto-clutch any day. But I still prefer a clutch over anything if the option is there.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

All CVT transmissions in ATVs are not created equal though. We've had two Polaris ATVs with CVT transmissions, and had to repair the transmission in both of them. The Sportsman smoked the belt and ended up warping the whole primary clutch assembly, which was an expensive fix that was not covered under warranty. The Scrambler just smoked the belt, but our Polaris dealer refused to cover it under Polaris' lifetime belt warranty, because the belt was just smoked (worn in one area), and had not broken. We've had four Kawasaki ATVs with CVT transmissions, and they have been good for the most part. But they require adjustment periodically, and can tend to slip and squeek and squawk if they are not adjusted just right. And we've had ten Yamaha ATVs/UTVs with CVT transmissions (this is for our family of four, not just myself by the way). In the last ten years use, we have never had to even touch a Yamaha CVT transmission, ... ever!

The better CVT transmissions are as reliable as anything now-a-days. I think there are more important issues to consider when purchasing an ATV, like power, handling, suspension, terrainability, and overall reliability. I personally would rather have a powerfull good handling well suspended ATV that has a CVT transmission, than I would have an under powered, poorly suspended ATV, simply because I had to have a manual transmission.

DV</end quote></div>

Like you said you started out with Polaris auto, burnt a couple belts learning how to ride them, now with experiance you can better ride your Kawi and Yamy.

What you guys don't seem to understand is your wet clutch in the Yamy slips at idle and getting your atv moving also. I'll bet those clutches cost more than a couple Polaris belts!

Old 04-14-2008, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: RickCJ7
Like you said you started out with Polaris auto, burnt a couple belts learning how to ride them, now with experiance you can better ride your Kawi and Yamy.
</end quote></div>

Actually, our first ATVs were a Honda 300 EX, and a Wolverine 350. Then the first ATV with a CVT transmission was a Kodiak 400. The Sportsman and Scrambler came next, then another Yamaha or two, then a few Kawi's, and now Yamaha's again.

Anyway, the reason I replied again was to say that in all fairness, our Polaris ATVs that had belt and primary clutch problems were not current model ATVs. They were 2001 models, and I'm sure that Polaris, Kawasaki, and other manufacturers have done some fine tuning on their machines in the seven years since then. I think any of the current CVT transmissions are going to work well for people, and will be reliable. I would certainly recommend one of several top of the line sport utility ATVs with a CVT transmission (Brute Force, Sportsman, Outlander, Grizzly, etc.) before I would recommend the un-refined slam and bang style shifting of an auto clutch manual transmission. A manual transmission with a manual clutch is fine with me, but not the crude auto clutch manual transmission. We've had a few ATVs with that style transmission, and I just don't care for it.

Too bad no one makes a true manual transmission sport utility ATV with a manual clutch, ... just like a sport quad. That would be nice.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

i'm with BradW. i've owned nothing but sticks in my autos.i own 1 auto now but it was given to me.i can tell you one thing for sure if you ever drive a 10+speed truck in town or a city.you would give your left leg for an auto.after reading some of the posts on this thread i wonder how many people get ran over going up hills and stuff.everyone i ride with always stop at the bottom of a hill and wait for the person to get to the top or very close to it before someone else tries it and wait at the top to make sure everyone does make it.
the LAST thing we need is to be right behind someone who does'nt make it to the top.talk about reckless riding and not caring about your fellow rider safety.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:03 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The only hill I stop at the bottom of the hill to put the ATV in low range is the king your fellow rider pull also stop to pull the camera out. Not many hill s like that in a ride. Going up most other hill I just leave it in high and fly up them.

Shifting on a sport track ATV may be fun ,but on a Utility trail ATV,constantly shifting to stay in the right power band is just a unnecessary chore,like driving a 5 speed manual Taxi cab in NY City. LOL

Old 04-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

how many times is this dead horse going to be beaten?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

With as as many 5 speed Utility ATVs made , as fingers on your one hand now, I would say the ATV manafactures have put the "belt vs shifting" thing to rest also.

With the Artic Cat 500 and 500 Honda Foremans as the biggest badest 5 speeds you can get now and both are not top in there class against other belt driven 450 and 500 ATVs ,the pickings are slim to say the least.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

Not until we are for sure that it is dead! I liked the comment earlier where the 97 Polaris had gone through 4 to 5 belts. My 2000 Kodiak is to this day on its original belt. Looks brand new. I think I will get a Polaris so I can learn how to change a belt.

Quick Reply: belt or beltless, that is the question!