Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Want to move from Rincon 680...any suggestions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 05:20 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to move from Rincon 680...any suggestions appreciated

I'm new to this and want to say hi to everyone 1st, and I'd really appreciate any advice.
I want to change my Rincon 680. Its actually a REALLY good bike and I've only had it a year but its my 1st ATV and I want to upgrade to something with more power because, powerful as it is, that is definately the big let down from my point of view.

A sport quad would probably best suit me BUT I want auto and its got to be a 4x4 because I drive through serious mud and water at times.

With all this in mind I had settled on the Can-Am Renegade 800 as a 'perfect' bike for my needs. However, I've read some really negative reports on reliability. Things burning out, frames twisting, losing power when wet because of belt slippage and bits and pieces dropping off. Also, I read that it is terrible for protecting you against the mud. After a few hours on my Rincon I am covered so I dont want a bike that by all accounts seems to funnel mud towards you!!

I'm now thinking that maybe another make should be considered.
Can anybody suggest anything to look at. Its got to be FAST, a good handler, 4x4 and auto.
Thanks.
Mark.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

I don't know about ALL of that but it sounds like the new Thundercat (if you got $11,000) or the much more affordable Brute force is what you're looking for.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Other than the lack of mud coverage (true) all the other negative reports on the Can-Am Renegade are about the same as other manufacturers. You can search around and find tons of flaws in most bikes - which usually represent a few % of all owners.

For your need of speed and sporty, 4wd and good mud protection then I would say:

Can Am Outlander 800 or 650 (Yup, the 650 will blow right past your Honda)
Kawi Brute Force 750
Yamaha Griz 700
Suzuki KQ 750
Polaris 800 or 700
A/C Thundercat 950

Jaybee

Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I would recommend a 2008 Brute Force 750.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for everyones suggestions.
I cant afford the Thundercat (and even if I could I couldnt justify spending that much cash).
I REALLY want all those tales about the Renegade to be false but the lack of fender protection is a real downer. Anyone know if there is some kind of modification/extra available that will give that protection?? Doubt it, and even if there was I guess it'd look bloody stupid.
I am seriously considering the 08 Brute Force or the Outlander 800. Anyone have any pros or cons on which bike? I guess the Outlander is the more powerful of the two? How much faster than the Rincon will they be?
Its a shame about my Honda. Dont know how many others have experience with a Rincon but it really is a nice bike. If I had some way of raising the power and I could cosmetically beef the front end up (thought this wouldnt be that important but it does look a bit weak frontview) I'd stay with it. The clutchless manual shift on the handlebars is excellent. Anyone know of any other makes that have this?

Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clutchless manual shift? It's been awhile since I saw a new utility quad that <u>wasn't</u> automatic, but I don't remember seeing a manual clutch on any of the old foot-shifters in all the years I've been riding. Maybe it's on some quads I never saw. Sport quads have one of course.

Most of the trails I ride are impossible to ride over 20mph, but when I hit a dirt road I can do 50-55. That's fast enough for me. I don't want to hit anything doing 70 or 80.

A Sportsman or Grizzly will each have pretty good protection, and I don't know anything about the others. I've heard good and bad things about the Outlander but never from anyone I could trust. The Griz may or may not be <u>faster</u> than the Sportsman, but will be probably be <u>quicker</u> because it's lighter. I only rode a Griz <u>once</u> and almost rolled it over. It felt unstable, and I had it on two wheels before I went 100 yards.

Polaris builds everything like a tank, so it's really tough, but heavy, and not made to win a lot of drag races. None of the non-Polaris quads my friends have impress me. Most of them are quicker but that's all. They don't perform in the mud as well, for one thing. And a lot of the <u>new</u> features are things Polaris invented 10 years earlier, like non-limited-slip 4-wheel-drive, independent suspension, automatic, etc.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

Well if you can't afford the Thundercat I think you'll find that the price of the Can Am isn't that friendly either. The money you save on the Brute force I'll bet you can mod it up to run with a Can Am or Thundercat. Keep in mind that stock for stock the Brute probably isn't more than 5 or 6' behind in the hundred. That to me isn't worth the extra $1000 or more.

There is a great looking 08 brute force on Highlifter.com and he's negotiable at $6995 with 25 hrs on it if you're anywhere near TX.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Zorro, right at this moment I think its going to be the 08 Brute 750. I also keep hearing mixed reports on Can Am and just dont feel safe to purchase (especially as a LOT of the reports I have read say how the after sales and warranty is terrible). Sad really because the Renegade was exactley what I wanted!! Even a dealer I talked to earlier tried to put me off the black paintwork on the XT version saying it scratches terribly (though my naturally pessimistic side makes me think its because he only had the standard yellow ones in stock. Maybe I'm just being paranoid though).
Afraid I'm a few miles to far to consider your suggestion: North Cornwall, UK. Appreciate it though.
I dont tend to do a lot of rocks and seriously bad ground here.
Mainly through rides I've cut in woodland on my farm but it gets seriously muddy in certain areas come Winter, hence the reason I cant consider a sport quad as I really think it needs the 4x4 capability. Also, the practical side in me cant justify the purchase unless it can be used around the farm when required (although I doubt it ever will).
I may look at Polaris. I think they look great but it was the power to weight ratio that put me off.
Anyone else got any reasons to either get or drop the Brute would be appreciated.
Cheers.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

One quick question:
The Thundercat 950 isnt available quite yet in the UK but does anyone have any real experience with this machine?
I've read the mag reviews but prefer 'real' peoples thoughts.
Doubt I can afford, but is it worth saving longer for??
Build quality, handling etc. I guess the speed isnt an issue.
Thanks all.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just FYI, there are overfenders available for the Renegade.

Sounds like you'd be better off with more of a utility style though. All the bikes that are 'faster than the Rincon" are going to cost you. The BF is probably the best bang for the buck in what has been mentioned. Speed-wise, all will be noticably faster than the Rincon.

Jaybee

Quick Reply: Want to move from Rincon 680...any suggestions appreciated