Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

in the mood for a new sport in the next few months.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008 | 03:32 PM
|
Range Rover
Default in the mood for a new sport in the next few months.

got a job now. looks to be like about 500 a month is what ill be makin. but anyways, all my friends have sports. i dont need one but i want one. tired of bein last in the pack and pullin up as everyone else leaves. i want something that will keep up with a ltr 450, a outlaw 525, a can-am 450, and a raptor 700. dont care if it will pass them or not. but i want something small enough to throw around tight trails and still go muddin and maybe a few small jumps. id like reverse but i can live without it. im lookin at the 400-500ccs. but i dont really know what to get. ive rode a modded 400ex and i liked how quick it was but it felt too top heavy even lowered all the way with the stock shocks. and i know i dont want a 450r. so that pretty much puts honda out. definately want a solid axel.just need some suggestions about what would be good. sorry im so picky but i want something i know im gonna enjoy.

Old 06-16-2008 | 03:41 PM
Moto Psycho

I don't know why some people don't like IRS. I like having a nice smooth ride. ATV Magazine named the 525 Outlaw IRS: BEST IN CLASS: BEST TRAIL SPORT ATV, this year.

http://www.atvmag.com/article.asp?nid=971

Quote from ATV Magazine: "If you haven't squeezed the trigger on a 525 KTM in an IRS chassis you simply haven't experienced the best in this class."

Quote from Polaris: "Pair the ferocious KTM 525 engine with performance-tuned Independent Rear Suspension (PRO IRS), and the Outlaw 525 IRS lets you take on the roughest trails without hesitation. It's the future of the sport. Don't get left in the dust."

I think any of the 450s other than Honda would keep up pretty well. There's even an Outlaw 450 and a 525, each with a solid rear axle that you may not know about. They're supposed to be the quickest in their class. They both cost the same exact amount, but I think I'd rather have the 525 than the 450 for the same price.

http://www.polarisindustries.c...5S/Pages/Overview.aspx

Quote from Polaris: Straight-axled, wicked-fast KTM powered Outlaws. The NEW 525 S, a serious dune monster built to blow your buddy off the line and beat him to the top of the hill all day long. Together with the new Outlaw 450 MXR, these are the fastest-accelerating quads in their class.

Old 06-16-2008 | 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

All the quads your buddy's ride seem like nice quads. If you don't want one of them, then Outlaw 450mxr, Outlaw 525sra, Yfz450, Kfx/Ltz400.

If you like the motor in the Outlaw, then you can also look at Ktm. They build the motors in the Outlaws, and have their own quads out now which are supposed to be über sick.

I would suggest a sport like the 525sra and Ktm's since they would be better for trail riding and mud than a 450 mx/race quad.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008 | 04:55 PM
|
Range Rover

i rode my friends outlaw and yeah its fast but i dont like the suspension. it just feels weird to me. and ive been leanin more towards the yfz 450. i heard they were pretty good in mud and ive found a couple of used modded ones for like 3500-4000. itll be a few months till i get one but thats plenty of time to figure out what i like and dont like. but quick question. what would it take fot the yfz 450 to obliterate the ltr450? my friends got one and he just talks crap all the time to everybody. and then when he loses a drag race hell say "well i bet id kill you on the track". he was the first to get a sport and then for like a month he was the only one and whnenever wed talk about gettin a sport hed start talkin crap about everthing out there. i just wanna pass him and make him eat my dust.

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Well if his Ltr is stock, then pipe, jet, air filter/air box mods should get good gains. Yamaha's seem to get decent power gains from that sort of thing.

If that doesn't do it then some cam work as well, port & polish and it should rip.

If your buddy starts talking crap take him on a nice tight trail that your quad will just fit on, that 'track ready width' Ltr will be crying when it can't fit thru the trees. And if that Ltr is completely stock, then I don't see how it could compete on GNCC type trails with the width and little tires.

-Krait

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:24 PM
Moto Psycho

One of my friends rides a YFZ half of the time. I think it's stock and it seems pretty peppy as is. There are <u>so many</u> things that could be done to it to gain more power. How about a turbo?

Old 06-16-2008 | 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Well I am guessing he doesn't have the money for a turbo. If the Ltr is stock, then a Yfz will hold its own. Put a few mods on the Yfz and it should be able to beat the 'Zuke. But if the Ltr has mods, then more info on what it has done to it is needed to make further suggestions.

A stock Yfz vs a stock Ltr in the tight woods tho, Ltr shouldn't be able to hang with it.

-Krait

Old 06-17-2008 | 12:29 PM
|
Range Rover

his ltr has a cherry bomb? or something. it plugs into something up front. i think thats all he has performance wise. hes got mx tires, nerf bars, and the headlight replacement so he can race it.

and i dont think id be turboing anything for a while. minimum wage isnt that good. itll take me a few months just to get the cash for the 4wheeler. then the little stuff to keep it running good like oils and gas. ill be broke when i do get something cause i know im gonna ride the crap out of it. just like my 300. when i first got it i went thru about 15 gallons of gas in like half a week. and that was back when gas was just a little over a dollar.

Old 06-17-2008 | 03:02 PM
Moto Psycho

You may be able to find a good used quad and mod the heck out of it cheaper than you can get a new one. Then you blow away your friend and have gas money leftover.

Old 06-18-2008 | 02:46 PM
|
Range Rover

my friends got one of the motorcycle traders or whatever and i was lookin thru and mississippi has a lot of cheap used modded yfzs. found a 06 with upgraded shocks, k&n filter, opened box, full pipe, and cam for like 3800 bucks. i hope its still gonna be around in about 4 months.

Quick Reply: in the mood for a new sport in the next few months.