Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which would be better buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 02:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which would be better buy?

The two up is 8 inches longer than a normal Outlander 800 and it weighs over 700 pounds. And obviously has another seat. If you were thinking about not going with the two up, you could also look into buying a Can-Am Outlander 800(R) XT. This ATV is the same thing but without the extra length and weight, and the saddle is plenty large enough for two riders.

Old 06-24-2008 | 02:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

yea thats what i was also thinking, i just hear about the frame deal about them but fellar told me just get the skid plate with it and i should b fine. im glad everyone trying to help thanks everyone

Old 06-24-2008 | 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

Frame deal??

Old 06-24-2008 | 04:31 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thought they were weak ?

Old 06-24-2008 | 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

I've heard of no such thing. But you never know, and on top of that, if they are that weak that they are going to break just by riding trails, then wow. You should be fine and if they were that weak, Can-Am would put them on recall.

Old 06-25-2008 | 12:48 AM
Moto Psycho

According to what I read Can-Am frames are weak, but I think they would be okay for trail riding. You should have a 2-up machine so you can ride double legally. That way you can ride the public trails and not risk getting a ticket every time you go out. When you ride by yourself it will handle about the same as a 1-up of similar size. You don't have to worry about if it's too tall or too wide like a SxS.

Old 06-25-2008 | 02:29 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

According to what I read Can-Am frames are weak, but I think they would be okay for trail riding. You should have a 2-up machine so you can ride double legally. That way you can ride the public trails and not risk getting a ticket every time you go out. When you ride by yourself it will handle about the same as a 1-up of similar size. You don't have to worry about if it's too tall or too wide like a SxS.</end quote></div>

So here's the deal on the Can-Am frame - Can-Am bills their spar frame as a built-in skidplate. Sounds good but in reality if you beat your frame against some rocks it's going to get dented, weakened and eventually break. The same is true of every other quad out there and the fix is exactly the same - put a skid plate on and it will be fine. Run your AC, Polaris or Honda on rough trails without a skidplate adn their frames will fail too. It's just that most manufacturers don't claim that their frames can act as skids too.

Old 06-25-2008 | 03:21 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jaybeecon55

According to what I read Can-Am frames are weak, but I think they would be okay for trail riding. You should have a 2-up machine so you can ride double legally. That way you can ride the public trails and not risk getting a ticket every time you go out. When you ride by yourself it will handle about the same as a 1-up of similar size. You don't have to worry about if it's too tall or too wide like a SxS.</end quote></div>

So here's the deal on the Can-Am frame - Can-Am bills their spar frame as a built-in skidplate. Sounds good but in reality if you beat your frame against some rocks it's going to get dented, weakened and eventually break. The same is true of every other quad out there and the fix is exactly the same - put a skid plate on and it will be fine. Run your AC, Polaris or Honda on rough trails without a skidplate adn their frames will fail too. It's just that most manufacturers don't claim that their frames can act as skids too.</end quote></div>

Polaris frames don't just "act as skidplates". Most Polaris frames have steel skidplates welded on them from front to back. There are access holes big enough to fit a wrench in, but it's basically one solid piece of steel. I've hit a lot of big rocks, stumps, and other junk with all mine for the past 11 years, and never had anything worse than a small scratch in the paint. I don't know what the other brands frames look like because I haven't looked underneath them lately. I've never seen a frame failure of any kind in a Polaris except for severe head-on collisions. Hitting a deer or tree at 50+ mph is rough on any quad, and I think they would all bend the frame.

Old 06-25-2008 | 08:37 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jaybeecon55

Polaris frames don't just "act as skidplates". Most Polaris frames have steel skidplates welded on them from front to back. There are access holes big enough to fit a wrench in, but it's basically one solid piece of steel. I've hit a lot of big rocks, stumps, and other junk with all mine for the past 11 years, and never had anything worse than a small scratch in the paint. I don't know what the other brands frames look like because I haven't looked underneath them lately. I've never seen a frame failure of any kind in a Polaris except for severe head-on collisions. Hitting a deer or tree at 50+ mph is rough on any quad, and I think they would all bend the frame.</end quote></div>

That's exactly my point. If your Polaris did not have a skid plate, then it's frame would get damaged under normal ATV riding conditions. A damaged frame will eventually fail or be weakened. This is true for any ATV out there.

The "problem" with the Can-Am is that since it's frame is already shaped like a skid plate, that Can-Am makes the stupid claim that it's frame will slide over things without a skid plate added. Run any Can-Am over rough trails and it's unprotected frame is going to get damaged - even if it is shaped like a ski so that it tends to slide over stuff. The 'fix' is the same as that for any other quad - add a skid plate.

I feel that a skid plate should be standard equipment on a 4x4 quad. But then, I also feel that $8,000 + quads should have decent shocks and tires that are equilivant to aftermarket - but that's just me.

Jaybee

Old 06-25-2008 | 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

That's exactly my point. If your Polaris did not have a skid plate, then it's frame would get damaged under normal ATV riding conditions. A damaged frame will eventually fail or be weakened. This is true for any ATV out there.

The "problem" with the Can-Am is that since it's frame is already shaped like a skid plate, that Can-Am makes the stupid claim that it's frame will slide over things without a skid plate added. Run any Can-Am over rough trails and it's unprotected frame is going to get damaged - even if it is shaped like a ski so that it tends to slide over stuff. The 'fix' is the same as that for any other quad - add a skid plate.

I feel that a skid plate should be standard equipment on a 4x4 quad. But then, I also feel that $8,000 + quads should have decent shocks and tires that are equilivant to aftermarket - but that's just me.

Jaybee</end quote></div>

I also feel that if an ATV costs $8,000 + and it doesn't come with better shocks or tires, it should come with skid plates. Good, steel, skid plates, not plastic ones.