Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Suzuki King Quad 450??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008 | 09:10 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Suzuki King Quad 450??

Hello, I currently own a Suzuki Ozark that does almost what ever I want but 4x4 would still be a great help. This King Quad 450 seems to be in my price rangeand I was wondering how loud they are. I know it's louder than a 250cc ATV but was just wondering of the noise level. I also heard there is a problem with the steering. Is the steering really that finicky with aftermarket tires on it? To the point where it is hard to ride? How is the ride on this ATV? Is it pretty smooth or bumpy? And last but not least, how do you rate the power output??

Any input will be appreciated!

Old 06-24-2008 | 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

I don't know the decibel level, but it is pretty quiet. I seriously doubt you will think it's too loud since it sounds about the same as every other 4wd atv. I have an '05 yamaha kodiak 450 to compare it to & it sounds about the same.

I don't know how it steers with aftermarket tires either since mine are stock. I'm sure the more aggressive the tire, the harder it would be to steer, as it would be on any atv. Stick to a milder tread pattern & you should be fine. I don't see how it steers any different from other atv's.

It rides good. If it's too stiff for ya, the shocks are adjustable, but it seems fine at the stock settings. According to magazine tests, seat of the pants feel of power output is on par with other 500cc machines. Mine isn't broke in yet, but it feels like it has all the power I need.

If it has the features you like, go for it.

The things I wanted to stay away from when I was looking around were atvs with the brake distribution. You squeeze one lever & it applies both brakes (something like 60% rear & 40% front or something like that). I prefer to control the front & rear brakes on my own. I also don't like the plastic racks even though the storage underneath them is nice. I also wanted to stick to a japanese brand. All are probably unfounded personal issues, but when you're handing over your own money, you have to decide what you like best.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Staying away from single-lever breaks is not an unfounded personal issue, it's a smart move since they could kill you. I really don't know how any manufacturer could offer such a dangerous set-up.

Old 06-24-2008 | 07:18 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

See July 08 ATV Action for a review.

Old 06-24-2008 | 11:28 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yeah, I just bought that magazine today so it's funny you should mention that. It sounds like a good ATV and I think I might buy it. Now to decide between ITP Mudlite XTRs, Carlisle A.C.T. XLRs, Maxxis Mud Bugs (radial), ITP Mudlite XLs, Interco Swamp Lites, or STI Mud Trax....lots of choices-lol.

Old 06-25-2008 | 12:54 AM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

Staying away from single-lever breaks is not an unfounded personal issue, it's a smart move since they could kill you. I really don't know how any manufacturer could offer such a dangerous set-up.</end quote></div>

How many people have single lever B-R-A-K-E-S killed? What about them is so extremely dangerous that they shouldn't even make them?

Old 06-25-2008 | 09:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Read this than run out and buy it!

AC 1000_________65.84 hp
Can Am 800______61.7 hp
Can Am 650______55.4 hp
Brute 750 Carb____50.1 hp
Polaris 800_______50.1 hp
Brute 750 EFI_____49.8 hp
King Quad 750____49.6 hp
King 700_________48.5 hp
Grizzly 700________45.6 hp
Polaris 700_______44.3 hp
AC 700 H1_______41.4 hp
AC 700__________41.4 hp
Grizzly 660_______40.9 hp
Can Am 500______40.4 hp
AC 650 H1_______39.3 hp
Rincon 680_______38.5 hp
Grizzly 550________36.9 hp
King 450_________36.7 hp
SP 500 __________35hp
Foreman 500______26hp
Grizzly 450________26hp

37hp from a 450 is great,more power than many larger ATVs.

Old 06-25-2008 | 01:43 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thamls for your help guys. The King Quad 450 sounds like it will be a good machine for me! Can't wait to try one on my trail.

Old 06-25-2008 | 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

Staying away from single-lever breaks is not an unfounded personal issue, it's a smart move since they could kill you. I really don't know how any manufacturer could offer such a dangerous set-up.</end quote></div>

How many people have single lever B-R-A-K-E-S killed? What about them is so extremely dangerous that they shouldn't even make them?</end quote></div>

What's dangerous about them is that if you are going forward down an extremely steep hill and need to slow down or stop, the last thing you want to do is hit the front brake. Likewise, if you run up a steep hill and don't make it, you don't want to hit the rear brake. This is common sense, since this can cause a roll-over very easily. I've seen videos of it and I've seen inexperienced riders do it. If your front and rear brakes are connected, you don't have a choice between which one to use.

Old 06-25-2008 | 08:57 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

How many people have single lever B-R-A-K-E-S killed? What about them is so extremely dangerous that they shouldn't even make them?</end quote></div>

What's dangerous about them is that if you are going forward down an extremely steep hill and need to slow down or stop, the last thing you want to do is hit the front brake. Likewise, if you run up a steep hill and don't make it, you don't want to hit the rear brake. This is common sense, since this can cause a roll-over very easily. I've seen videos of it and I've seen inexperienced riders do it. If your front and rear brakes are connected, you don't have a choice between which one to use.</end quote></div>

Using either brake by itself in those situations would be dangerous, but you can't accidentally hit the wrong brake since they're connected. I still haven't heard of anyone getting killed that had anything to do with single lever brakes. But I know a lot of people with separate brakes have hit the wrong one and flipped over. I think that makes the single lever brakes safer. Besides that I have to give it gas to go down hill so I never have to worry about it. The 4 wheel engine braking will slow it down and stop it without using the brakes.

Quick Reply: Suzuki King Quad 450??