Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Shopping

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008 | 02:50 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Shopping

I'm new here and have a question maybe you experts can answer. I'm looking at 08 AC 650H1 vs the AC 700EFI. Is the extra 50cc motor and EFI worth paying about $750 extra? Thats about all the difference I see in these two or am I missing other features on the 700. I haven't seen anything about EFI vs carb bikes since I've been reading the forum. My new atv will be used for hunting/retreiving downed animals, some pleasure riding and to disc food plots. Also looking at Polaris Spotsman 500EFI and 800EFI. Yeah I know some of you think Polaris is junk but my current Magnum 325 has been a great machine. I just want a newer and larger machine

Old 06-26-2008 | 02:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shopping

What year is the 700efi? Cat used Suzuki king quad 700 engines in their older 700efi, then changed to their own 700H1 I think last year. The 650H1 will probably have a bit more low end torque compared to the Suzuki engine, but the newer 700H1 has lots. Check with the dealer to see if its the 'Zuke motor or Cat's own motor.

Polaris Sportsmans are fine for work, I think the 800 might be a bit overkill if you don't care about the extra power, the 500 will be better on gas and still do what you want of it no problem. If you liked your Magnum I would say the Sportsmans will be a good upgrade in most areas.

-Krait

Old 06-26-2008 | 03:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Shopping

All are 08 models. I'm pretty sure the 700 is Suzuki motor and the 650 is AC. I really want to know about EFI vs carb.

Old 06-26-2008 | 03:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Shopping

I can't speak for the AC's, but I do like having EFI. No choke to deal with, easy starts, especially in the cold weather, no issues with altitude or hill climbing, no jetting, always runs good...just to name a few. I really can't think of any cons....maybe mapping it if you had to for mods?

I have two sportsmans (700 and 800)and would agree that the 500 has good power and gets way better fuel mileage. But, there is a noticeable power difference which is why I chose the big ones. Drive them if you can and see if there is a difference. I am not going to say the sportsmans are the best, because they are not. In fact, I don't think anyone makes "the best"! They are all good in their own way which is what sets them apart from each other. The sportsmans are the most comfortable and I don't think anyone will argue that! The reason I chose them is my local dealer has excellent service and repair. I think that should factor in for anyone's purchase, no matter what make you choose.

Old 06-26-2008 | 07:18 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Shopping

EFI gives you better gas mileage and a little more power out of the same exact size engine. I agree with firehog: instant starts in the middle of winter because there's no choke to mess with. No re-jetting for altitude because there's no carb to re-jet. It runs great all the time and never needs any idle adjustments like my old carb quads. The old ones always idled different according to the temperature, and were suppossed to be-rejetted every winter and then back in the summer. I like to ride year-round and now I can without adjusting anything. I just tuirn the key and go, at any temperature and any altitude. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]