Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Can a Dealer turn you away?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008 | 03:25 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Can a Dealer turn you away?

When one goes to purchase a new ATV can a dealer refuse to sell the bigger machines to someone they know is going to let someone under the age of 16 ride it?

Basically, if a parent (Adult or 18+) goes with his/her child who is about 13-15 years old and attempts to purchase a machine like a 450, or even a 700+ is it probable a dealer won't or can't sell it to them?

I've noticed many sites reccomend that only "experienced riders" or 16 and older should only have these machines. Sometimes there are bigger, although younger teenagers who have grown up on ATVs and are experienced enough for the big bore machines. I just would like to know how keen dealers are on who exactly will be ready the machine or if theyjust keep there eyes on the paycheck.

Old 07-02-2008 | 03:59 AM
Pro Rider

i have never seen a place what wont sell it. it is just a recomendion not a requirement

Old 07-02-2008 | 07:06 AM
Pro Rider

I have never heard of a dealer turning away $'s. In WI once a rider (12+)completes the DNR safety course they are legal to ride a thundercat if they so wish.

Old 07-02-2008 | 09:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

They have the right to refuse sales to whoever they want. I have heard of some dealers refusing to sell a quad to someone who had the child with them, and it was (by sticker guidelines) oversized for the child. And it's not that they don't want money, it's the lawsuit later.

Sure, they may say don't worry I won't sue you later. But until they're in that situation of their child injured, or worse, you never know. Then add a lawyer just pushing dollar amounts at them urging them to sue, and that small profit doesn't seem so great anymore.

Old 07-02-2008 | 10:49 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I think there was something in the consent decree (now expired????), that said you can't sell to a to young rider. Back in the day (late 90's), I know that dealers were concerned about getting "set up" to sell to a to young rider, and getting nailed for it......

Old 07-02-2008 | 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually,
if dealers who signed the 1988 Consent Decree agreement KNOWINGLY sells an ATV outside of the manufactures age/cc guidelines, the dealership can get into SERIOUS trouble.If it is a repeated offense with the same dealership, they can lose their francise license.

Dont be pissed at your Dealer, he is only doing his job.

Old 07-02-2008 | 05:35 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I don't really mean a child buying it, more like if the dealer notices him sitting on it and liking it and shortly after the parent wants to buy it, what are the odds the dealer might put two and two together?

Old 07-02-2008 | 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dealers will not sell to anyone under the age of 18 anyways. If you so much as make a ''hint'' that the ATV you are about ready to buy is going to be used by someone from ages 6-15, the saleperson MUST sell you [parent or gaurdian] an ATV that meets the CPSC consent Decree agreement of 1988.Which are as follows

Ages 6-11 nothing over 69cc
Ages 12-15 nothing over a 90cc

These age/cc guidlines are in place because of what happened on 3 wheelers way back in the mid 80s.

Best thing to do is to keep you mouth shut when buying an ATV for a youth. I have NEVER agreed to the CPSC guidlines and dont see that I ever will.

Old 07-03-2008 | 12:03 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

Every ATV I've ever purchased new comes with a form that you must sign prior to taking delivery. In it you acknowledge all the points that are on the safety stickers on the bike. Legally, this is there to protect the dealer as they can refer to it to prove that you cleimed the ATV would be ridden by an adult. In reality, I think most dealers will sell you whatever ATV you want unless you blaintly tell them that your little kid is going to ride the new 700 cc sport bike. Even if you show up inthe showroom with your kid and that kid 'test sits' several ATV's, the written form will override most salesmans 'observations' as to who is really going to ride the quad. Since the CPSC guidelines have been gone for so long, at this point it is a thing between the manufacturers and the dealers to limit liability.

Jaybee

Old 07-03-2008 | 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Good point, however, the manufactures [even TODAY] will still send out ''spotters'' to see if a dealer will go against the CPSC guidelines, and if they do, they could have their francise license agreement taken away for violation of the CPSC/Manufactures Concent Decree Agreement with repeated offenses.

Today, the major manufactures are under a ''verbal'' agreement to abide by the 1988 Consent Decree Agreement.

Quick Reply: Can a Dealer turn you away?