Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Advice on atv

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008 | 09:50 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Advice on atv

I am looking for a utility atv for my son. He is 13 years old. We were looking at about a 250 cc size range, any suggestions on brand/model.

Old 07-09-2008 | 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Advice on atv

My only suggestion is a Suzuki Ozark 250. The absolute BEST 250cc ATV on the market, in my opinion. I have Interco Swamp Lites on the back of mine and the thing goes through, over, and up anything I want it to. It has good ground clearance and very nice power. Shifting is smooth and turning is tight. The steering takes little effort and the first gear on this machine is very low. The Suzuki Ozark 250 is a stable quad and is willing to ride like a sport quad (or close to one) or be a true utility and work around the house or on a farm. The front rack can carry 44 pounds, but I can stand on it and jump on it and still not bottom out the suspension (I weigh 135 pounds, and I'm a 14 year old). The rear rack is rated to haul 66 pounds but here again, it will carry me on it without the suspension bottoming. On the trail, the stock tires have good traction and the ride is actually pretty smooth, especially for a straight rear axle ATV. The headlights are VERY bright and light the trail with ease. The brakes on the Ozark are outstanding and stop me in a heart beat. It will carry you through the largest of mud pits or swamps and accelerate hard when needed. This quad has plenty of power, especially in first gear, considering I have pulled my friend out of my swamp several times. Ozark's seats are cushiony and everything feels just right. It is possible to put a snow plow and a trailer hitch on the ATV if needed. A great ATV in my opinion, and it's gaining my trust every time I ride.

!SUZUKI OZARK 250 ALL THE WAY!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2008 Suzuki Ozark 250
Interco Swamp Lite Tires

Old 07-10-2008 | 10:16 AM
Pro Rider
Default Advice on atv

Ozark 250, or Recon 250. Both great tough little quads.

-Krait

Old 07-10-2008 | 10:38 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Advice on atv

You cant go wrong with either the ozark 250 or the Recon 250. Both tough litte quads that are powerful enough for you or me to have fun on or use for work. The suzuki is just a little more refined. Just like the Honda 400ex compared to the suzuki Z400. the zuki is just a little more updated thats why I got the suzuki. If I remember the zuki has disk breaks where the honda has Drum brakes which can be a rear pain in the rear to service. Cant go wrong with either!

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:04 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Advice on atv

thanks for the help. I was looking at the two and wondered if you had any comments on the recon ESP system versus the automatic transmission.

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:06 AM
Trailblazer
Default Advice on atv

they are both great atvs i`ve just always had good luck with honda`s i mean they last FOREVER! but the only flaw is the drum brakes like they said.

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Advice on atv

don`t get the esp my cousin has one and the shift sensors go out if you get a little mud or water in them.can he operate a manual? if not get the suzuki.

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:11 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default Advice on atv

so the recon is manual

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Has Been Around Here Quite Awhile!
Default Advice on atv

I too would stay away from th ESP. I read to many post about people having problems with it. Just one less thing to go wrong.Your son want have any problems with the manual shift and will like it better just for the fun of shifting. When we say manual shift it's for the grear lever only and he has no clutch lever to pull in, Just let off the gas and shift and go. My daughter learned in just a few minutes. I like hondas but the zuki is a great quad. I'd almost just flip a coin and be happy with either one. I think that Honda recon in Blue is one of the best looking quads out there!

Old 07-10-2008 | 11:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Advice on atv

Both are manual shift, auto clutch. The Recon has the option of shifting via an electronic thumb shifter.

You can also check out the 250's from Yamaha, Can-am, Arctic Cat, & Kawasaki. I believe the Can-Am and Arctic Cat are fully automatic. Polaris also has a 200 and 330.

-Krait

Quick Reply: Advice on atv