Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400ex or Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 08:09 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am stuck between two atv's which would I enjoy more? 400EX or BANSHEE. I have been riding 6 years on a Polaris Scrambler 500 and have some experience with manual clutch on my Suzuki 450 road bike.

I am 150lbs 6ft. I love wheelies and jumping. I like going fast. Like powersliding. I do alot of all around riding (not mud). Like four strokes over two strokes. REliability is a big factor. I work at a yamaha shop in summers so I get at cost yamaha parts ,but not vehicles. Uhh what else...I am worried the ex won't have enough power I have rode the banshee, but not the 400ex. I'd rather have a more controllable atv than a crotch rocket though. OK tell me what u think. Cause I am buying soon. NO raptor suggestions toooo expensive.

Old 01-27-2001, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

my income tax arrives in 2 weeks. im in the same position.
either 400ex or banshee.
is the 400 ex just as snappy as a 250R?
if the oil pump goes is there a warning light?
i heard 4 strokes are reliable but are they easy to work on compared to 2 strokes. i have only had 2 strokes before so know nothing about 4 strokes.
with the banshee i know i would have plenty of power. dont like the idea of replacing 2 top ends. do like there are alot of parts for them since they havnt changed in years.
i will be doing woods riding and open railroad beds with it.
one day i decide im buying a banshee,the next day i decide on a 400ex... my wife is going crazy. so any input would be nice
i dont know anyone that owns these quads in my area so i never got to ride one. i live in NE CT so if anyone would let me test these would be nice.
thanks

Old 01-27-2001, 07:16 PM
Trailblazer

Man am I glad somebody is going through the same thing I am! One day I am 400ex next banshee ARggg!
I am used to 4 strokes and dont like the maint on the banshee like the chain adj. rebuilding. But the power the banshee has?! I am thinking 400ex on my part due to maint., reliability, suspension, and 4 stroke. Still clueless somebody help me.

Old 01-28-2001, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

I was in the same situation as you guys, and the answer to me was the 400ex, and I have not looked back. For me the 400ex is the perfect bike (- reverse), it has all the power I could realistically use in the woods, and handles like no other. Electric start, great handling and very reliable. I hear all these magazines say it is underpowered, but to me, just doing fast trail riding, they are way off! It has plenty of power for that!
The dealer told me that the Banshee has to have a new top end every 2nd season, I have a Tecate 2 stroke, and it loses a lot of power if you ride it hard for a season and don't rebuild it. If money is not an issue, consider the Raptor, but I would test ride all the bikes I could before I spent a dime.

Old 01-28-2001, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

well i've had a shee and the problem with shee's is you just can't leave them alone (stock) that is. it alway seam you want more (hp) till the point that its no longer reliable. that why i would go with the 400ex its a good quad for the $, that needs no mods.

01 blu 660r

Old 01-28-2001, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer
Old 01-28-2001, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

How low of a price could i get that new yellow 400ex for?

Old 01-29-2001, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Usually, the price is around $5300-$5800 out the door. There is a place in MS that has them for $4995+ tax. I live in Ohio, and most of the dealers here sell them as fast as they get them, so they won't budge from the $5699 list and they still charge setup and tax, then you are over 6 grand!

Old 01-30-2001, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

i have been leaning more towards the 400ex.

the magazines confuse me. the new ATV SPORT buyers guide says "thumbs down on the suspension of the 400ex" but when reading the article says it has excellent handling? how can that be?
i read alot of articles about lack of excitement and power on the EX. is the 400EX almost = to a 250r in power? if so thats plenty for me and what i do. i see alot of used EX's forsale where i live. around $4500 to 4200 for the 2000 models. is that a good price? if i had the extra cash i would buy new but o well.

Old 01-30-2001, 03:39 PM
Trailblazer

I read dirtwheels and atvsport and both of those is probably what make my confusion so bad! They are so full of crap sometimes. They always go for the latest and greatest and everything else is not so great anymore. Marketing! I will see what I can do on the price around Dallas,Tx

Quick Reply: 400ex or Banshee