Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

help decideing on sport quad

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help decideing on sport quad

IMHO, yes. Others will dissagree I'm sure.

The 450 class is a winder engine. The lighter the load the faster they will wind.

The 660 type engine is a torque engine. It makes it's power by CC's and big stroke.

The 450's don't like to be lugged. The 660 700 don't care because they have the torque to pull the load. For me keeping a quad in the power band all the time is work, not fun.

But that is just me..........you may love to shift all the time to keep it on the pipe.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

huh wat are u talkin about??? im new to the atv thing bro

Old 08-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

The only way I could describe it is ride one of each.

The difference between a big CC motor and a 450 is night and day on how they make power. The 450 is more like a two stroke on how it makes power..........shift, shift, shift, shift..............

Old 08-03-2008, 11:34 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I knew there would be some people recommending 400-450s, and other people like me saying you should get something bigger because you aren't the average 126 pound, 5'7", 15-year old. Since you're well over that height, and double that weight Jason, you really have to take it into consideration when someone says a certain ATV has a lot of power. If they rode double and it still has enough power for two of them, then it might be enough power for you alone. I really don't think a 400-450 is big enough.

Nobody has mentioned the Outlaw 525 IRS yet. It's supposed to be <u>the quickest</u> stock sport quad there is, and it has IRS so it will handle rough trails better than any SRA ever could. If for some reason you you like Solid Rear Axles better than Independent Rear Suspensions, you can get the Outlaw 525 S for $300 less.

I still don't think there are any new quads that are powerful, cheap, and easy to maintain. If you get something 5 years old it may be powerful and cheap, but a real PITA to maintain. Good luck with whatever you get, and I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us do.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

ya im likein the yfz450 and raptor 700.... and for my lil bro i raptor 250....

Old 08-05-2008, 06:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Anything from the 400EX on up will have enough power to move you down the trail fine. At 15, you probably have some growing to do, and may benefit from getting a larger machine initially. What types of riding are you planning on? Trails? mud? rocks? hillclimbs? jumping?

Old 08-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

I knew there would be some people recommending 400-450s, and other people like me saying you should get something bigger because you aren't the average 126 pound, 5'7", 15-year old. Since you're well over that height, and double that weight Jason, you really have to take it into consideration when someone says a certain ATV has a lot of power. If they rode double and it still has enough power for two of them, then it might be enough power for you alone. I really don't think a 400-450 is big enough.

Nobody has mentioned the Outlaw 525 IRS yet. It's supposed to be <u>the quickest</u> stock sport quad there is, and it has IRS so it will handle rough trails better than any SRA ever could. If for some reason you you like Solid Rear Axles better than Independent Rear Suspensions, you can get the Outlaw 525 S for $300 less.

I still don't think there are any new quads that are powerful, cheap, and easy to maintain. If you get something 5 years old it may be powerful and cheap, but a real PITA to maintain. Good luck with whatever you get, and I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us do.</end quote></div>

Who in this thread recomended a 400-450 before that comment? Only recomendations were for big bores, or for him to try them all out and see for himself...

Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Doctorturbo

Lets face it; your not a small dude. That being said, IMHO your going to need a "big block".

Out of your list the only big blocks you have are #6.

Out of those 2 you don't want to break the bank, then the 660 is your only choice.

If you didn't want the 660, you only have a few more choices for "big blocks".

The 660, the 700 Yamaha, the KFX 700, or the Bomb 650. That's the end of the list for the bigger guy.</end quote></div>

Now that I've read this thread through and through, I agree that a 700 Raptor, KFX 700, or DS650 would be the best choices for you if you want a sport quad.

The DS650 you can pick up a lot cheaper than the others used (since they are out of production). I'm sure if you look in local classifieds for one (ex craigslist, kijiji, buysell) you can find someone and arrange to have a quick ride on it to make sure it is good.

I'm 15, about 6 feet, but weigh more like 180, so for me the 450 class is good (I just don't want a sport quad), heck I can even make my little Baja 90 go fast! I will hopefully get a Can-Am Renegade 500 or 800x for Xmas or my birthday (in October).

Old 08-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude don't worry about people saying you weight too much for a 400/450cc machine......... I weigh more then you and my z400 handles me just fine...... I can hang right with much smaller and lighter guys..... yeah a Raptor 700 would be nice but they are costly......

Ride a z400 and I guarantee it won't be too slow for you..... any certainly any 450 machine won't be too slow either, though they are not really great for a beginner.......

I would ride a 400ex or a z400 and see for yourself...... you are not too heavy for either.....

Old 08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Moto Psycho

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Krait

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jumbofrank

I still don't think there are any new quads that are powerful, cheap, and easy to maintain. If you get something 5 years old it may be powerful and cheap, but a real PITA to maintain. Good luck with whatever you get, and I hope you have as much fun as the rest of us do.</end quote></div>

Who in this thread recomended a 400-450 before that comment? Only recomendations were for big bores, or for him to try them all out and see for himself...</end quote></div>

Maybe you missed something that I didn't. In this thread Jason himself said, "i have been told to get a z400... i have been told a 400ex or 450trx". After that Jason had 400s and 450s listed as 5 out the 6 on the list he narrowed down and had his "mind pretty much made up". <u>Someone reccomended them to him and it's in this thread.</u> THAT'S what I was talking about.

A couple days before my post that you qouted above, someone told him in another thread that I read, "The Can-Am DS450 is a great trail/track quad" and you even said in this thread, "I think once you go at least sit on a 450, you will be able to see if they fit your size requirements." My reccomendation was to <u>not even try them</u> and ONLY get something bigger.

I've read several other threads where most people around his age reccomended 400s and 450s, and even 250s-350s. It's been my experience in the forums that the majority of people of all ages said 400s and 450s in several different threads. Just like the people Jason has been talking to. Someone is STILL saying 400-450 even after a few of us say he should probably get something bigger.

Quick Reply: help decideing on sport quad