Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which ATV is Best?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ATV is Best?

I am having a lot of trouble deciding which ATV to get. First off I know I want a Honda. Now the next part is a little harder. Sport or Utility, Sport looks fun, light, and the machines look cool. Utility has the 4x4 and roomy seat. Plus lets face it its safer. Being 15 I am looking for an entry level ATV, I pretty much narrowed it down too the TRX 250, or the Rancher 420 4x4. I am not looking for advice to other brands, honda only. I want someone with expierence with one or both of the machines. I'd like the 250, but most of my friends insist Utility is a better machine when you don't have desert around. Plus I hear Sport ATV's break easy.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go where you need a 4x4 then that's what you need. If you only go places that a 4x2 can go then that's good enough. It can't be any more simple than that IMO. Some people will argue all day that a sport is safer than a ute. Some, like you, say a ute is safer. Both are dangerous if you ride like an idiot. I won't tell you what I think is the best since you already decided you want a Honda. That wouldn't even be in my top 5. If you think it breaks easily get something else.

Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both, so you won't be getting any BS from me!

First off, no way are utilities safer than sport quads!!! Think of rolling a nearly 600 pound Rancher with hard racks on top of you, compared to a 350 pound much more stable 250EX that has soft plastic fenders....I hope you are getting the picture here! If you genuinely need 4wd, then get the Rancher, but if not stay away from utes and you will have way more fun.

As for the 250, it is a sweet little quad. It is based on the Recon utility, and will do anything a 2wd utility will do, yet it is 50 pounds lighter. The shaft drive rear end gives you good ground clearance, but the suspension is a little on the stiff side. To be honest, if you want a full on sport quad, get the Raptor 250 instead!!!

The Rancher rips! It has fuel injection and is water cooled. Great handling, descent suspension, agile....a real peach! It's 50 pounds to heavy though, and some would prefer more clearance under the rear differential.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

I think you are making your decision with reverse logic. You start out your post asking for the "Best ATV". But no single manufacturer makes the "best ATV" in each and every class of ATV. However, it is certainly true that some manufacturers do make the "best ATV" with one particular model, although not with their other models. Case in point, Polaris may make the "best" 850cc two-up utility ATV, but they do not make the best 250cc sport quad. Honda may make the best 400cc utility ATV, but they do not make the best big bore sport quad. And so on, ...

So I would suggest first deciding what class of ATV you want to buy, such as a 250cc sport ATV, vs a 400cc utility ATV, etc. After you have decided on which class of ATV you want, THEN decide for youself which manufacturer makes the best ATV for that particular class. That way you are assured that for your needs you are getting the "best ATV". If you make up your mind on manufacturer first, and then have to pick a model from that line up that best fits your needs you are pretty much gauranteed that you are NOT going to get the "best ATV" in that class. In general, you have at best a 1 in 6 chance of getting the "best ATV" with the way you are doing it.

DV

Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

ReconRanger, thank you for being most helpful. But some of my friends told me I should definetly get a Utility considering the trails, and mud pits of upstate NY. Also Desert Viper, I made a poor choice of words. I meant best ATV for me.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer

Ive owned a Honda 300ex and then a 400ex. Loved both of them. My friends all started getting utility quads and i was fighting getting one, finally i bought a Rincon and was suprised how "sporty" they have actually become from the past years. I do not regret getting a utiltity and have actually sold my 400ex. I can go the same places my 400 went, but now i can go where my 400 couldn't. Hope this helps

Old 09-18-2008, 02:38 AM
Trailblazer

If you ask me, you're comparing apples to oranges. The sport and utility quads are meant for two different things. The utility is for the rough terrain, work, deep mud, and steep hills. They're more of an exploring machine. They get you to where you want to go with no problem. I currently own a 2001 Honda Rancher 350 ES and love it. I can go anywhere with that thing. I bought it brand spankin' new in 2000 so I've had it for 8 years. After owning it for 8 years and riding it for those years, it gets boring. After a while, you start trying to do stuff on your utility quad that you would normally be doing on a sport quad (trying to pop wheelies, racing up and down the road, doing donuts, etc.) Basically, the quad got really slow really fast. I'm currently in the market now for a sport quad. In my opinion, you're going to be happy no matter what you get. Eventually, though, you're going to want the sport quad or the utility (whichever you got first) because the one you get isn't going to be able to do what the other one can do. In the end, you'll find that you're going to end up with both of them so it'll work out.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Trailblazer

Atv Fan agree that sometimes you want what you dont have, but remember and no offense you are riding and older 350cc utility. The new models especially the "big bores" are way faster and handle alot better. My Rincon 680cc is pretty fast evem compared to my 400ex and handles great. Nobody can really say what is good for someone else. It comes down to budget, type of riding, and even rider size. Some of it is brand loyalty and some is eww i like the look of that.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Trailblazer

I agree with you, but my point is that he's eventually going to have both because they both do something the other can't. I say get what feels right now. Get the one that would be best for your kind of riding. I mean, you don't really want to get a utility if you're going to be riding on roads and easy stuff all the time but then again its up to you.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:23 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CanisCanemEditPlus I hear Sport ATV's break easy.</end quote></div>

That's pure BS!!!