Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Can AM renegade or Yamaha Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 12:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can AM renegade or Yamaha Wolverine

Hi all-

I am looking at purchasing a sport/ utility quad, and it has come down to these:

Can AM Renegade; Either 800 or 500

or

Yamaha Wolverine 450

Is the Renegade 800 an overkill? Which one would you recommend and why?

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

Old 09-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I would pick the Renegade 500 because I like 500-600 class machines. A 250-350 can keep up on most of the trails I ride but some places I need more power. I personally think anything much bigger than a 500 is a waste because I've never felt any lack of power in one. I don't think the 421cc Wolverine would be nearly as fast as the 500cc V-twin Renegade. Plus the Renegade has a lot more suspension travel and ground clearance, big Holeshot radial tires, and just generally seems better than the Wolverine. I'm not knocking Yamaha in general but in this case it doesn't seem to come close to Can-Am.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey ATVMan, I've only read reviews on the machines you have mentioned. All reviews I have read talked about the Renegade 800s massive amounts of power. They also said it was a bit of work to handle it. Alot of the same writers who also drove the Renegade 500 loved it because it was a little easier to handle. Still had lots of power. I would personally go for the Renegade 500 for the reasons Jumbofrank stated. Better clearance, nicer ride, more power, than the Wolverine. Oh, and the Renegade is fuel injected. Not sure about the Wolverine.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

The scrambler is also an option if you like sport 4x4

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies, I think its either between the Can am Renegade 500 and the Wolverine 450, its a hard choice I will have to get down to the dealership and test drive them. I recently rode some utility quads and I will have to say, they are fun as well, I thought they would be slow and boring to ride but they are a blast to ride and they have a full sized rack which is a plus, but the handling and more weight (compared to the wolverine) is the downside.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I own a honda 400ex and my wife has a yamaha wolverine 450 4x4.
Iam also looking at a can-am renegade 500 i will state why later.
I have used her bike on many occasions;

What do you want to do more of sport ridding and use the 4x4 to get over logs and suck and some mud holes? if so then i say go with the yamaha

Yamaha pro's
Lighter easier to move around if need be.(get unstuck what ever)
solid rear axel can slide around corners easier
larger back rack area

Con's and i have learned that these are con's
belt driven(my 2006) when it gets wet it slips you have to stop and drain it, not hard to do but pain in the *** when your are trail ridding and everyone stops for you to do your thing
NO IRS....not to practicle for rocky,rocky hill climbs

Dirtwheel Dec 2008 issue was about a shoot out about all the sport 4x4's that were out.

Of course the can-am won, but it is about 1500 more then the wolv, they were impressed with the over all performance of the wolv, and it was the best bang for buck. Scrambler was last waste of money.

I want to can-am because i have only been riding for a year, but playing catch up and ridding every chance i get, and have learned i want a sport 4x4 and dont care too much about the full throttle jumping......

Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Trailblazer

Renegade 800 - end off.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: km08

Renegade 800 - end off.</end quote></div>

Renegade 800R EFI - $9,499 USD, Renegade 800R EFI X, $10,499 USD. Assuming that most people spend $500 or more on accessories, that's at least $10,000 or $11,000 and not everyone can afford to spend $11,000 on an ATV. You could probably get 2 ATVs, like a Wolverine AND a Z400 for the same price or $1,000 more. Maybe even less because, in my experience at least, Can-Am dealers don't sell for a lot less than sticker price like other brands do.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

O, Also i have been doing so much reading about the can-am it has the slipping problem as well. Also YOU can not switch too 4wd on the fly like the wolverine...that is a downer

Old 11-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Not a big beliver in Dirtwheels Mag but the just did a test of the Wolvi Rene and a Scrambler and I know the Wolvy won and I think that the Rene came in last! Check youl local mag stand on sale right now if you want to read about it!

Quick Reply: Can AM renegade or Yamaha Wolverine