Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:50 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I'm not really sure about the price thing. I want to figure out which quad I'm going to get and then earn the money. I won't get it anytime soon that's for sure.And I want a new one either 2000 or 2001 so it's going to be more expensive than a used I do know that.But I'll have one by the end of the year.(I hope)Like I said I'm not really concerned with the money just yet. Once I pick which one I want than I'll worry about the money.Besides I'm not going to be cheap with something that I can kill myself on.

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:55 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

since we are practically neighbors you can come ride with my boyfriend and I, and maybe some of or friends sometime...hehe we could always use more riders. My boyfriend works at a Yamaha dealership here in town and so does his best friend. My boyfriends got a 250R and his friend has a banshee and a rapter.You should come ride with us.They are pretty hard core riders and they both race.

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:00 PM
Range Rover

no, a good quad cost about as much as a coffin.experience will usually knock down the death factor a notch or two. spend the time while saving to test drive any bikes you might be interested in. you can usually finance them for a good deal.

Old 02-06-2001 | 12:08 PM
Range Rover

if i ever get that far west we'll look you guys up. since he works at a yamaha dealer you should be able to really test the kodiac. i think you'll like it. my wife really liked it but i had more reasons for the arctic cat and she got accustomed to it real quick. they don't race around real quick though, but it will pull just about anything i hook up to it.there is a wrench for every nut, so they say.

Old 02-06-2001 | 01:32 PM
Range Rover

Don't give up on an auto clutch. They are very easy to get use to. It did not take me long to learn. go for an auto clutch. this will allow you to look at more quads. You wont regret it. I never thought i could learn one, and if i could learn, believe me...so can you You should take an approved ATV course, they are free. they will help you to learn how to "lean" when going around corners, etc. Look around carfully, talk to people, read the magazines and choose carfully. -or- you will keep being tempted to trade up ...like me! hehe! i should have just went for the RAPTOR...although it would be way too much quad for me!

Old 02-06-2001 | 04:26 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

OK so my next question is, what kind of quad has everything I described and is an auto clutch instead?

Old 02-06-2001 | 05:00 PM
Pro Rider

With your initial description of what you are looking for and the fact you will be riding with sport quads...I would suggest the Polaris Scrambler. I do not suggest this because I own one but because it may fit your needs. Automatic, 2x4 or 4x4, electric start, reverse, lightweight compared to big bore utility quads, fast and fun. Plus it is very reliable no matter what some say.

If you are looking at 2000 and 2001 models you can get a quad that will be able to follow the others in your group and even be a blast if you go to the dunes with your boyfriend. 2-stroke or 4-stroke. My wife/girlfriend rides a Polaris Xplorer...but when she got on my Scrambler, she began to understand why I suggested to her the idea of a lighter, sportier quad. It wont jump like a 250R, but a great ride. Just add some aftermarket tires in back and it is way less tippy for powersliding around corners.

Just a thought. Good luck.

P.S. You can get a gas cap with gas guage installed for about 10$...

Old 02-06-2001 | 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

P2gal
If you want a 2wd utility automatic choose the Polaris 325 Trail Boss.
For a 4wd utility automatic Polaris magnum 325 or the Yamaha kodiak.
For a 2wd 5 speed auto clutch utility choose the Arctic Cat 250/300
For a 4wd 5 speed auto clutch Utility choose the Arctic Cat 300, Yamaha Big Bear/Wolverine.
For a 2wd sport automatic choose the Polaris Scrambler 500, or trailblazer 250
For a 2wd sport 5 speed auto clutch choose the Kawasaki lakota, Honda 250EX
Each machine has their pros and cons just go out and test ride them until you find what you want.

Old 02-08-2001 | 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

Reading your post, I noticed that you sound small like me. I started out with a Honda Recon, auto clutch, reverse, lightweight, easy to corner, good all around quad. But... I wanted something a little bit sportier, I wasn't real thrilled with the suspension. I looked into a new Honda 250ex. What a great quad. It has everything you are looking for, and is very lightweight and easy to ride. I have owned Polaris and Hondas. I had the same problems with the Polaris, I couldn't turn them when I was tired. A suggestion? Don't get a 4x4 quad, or something that will be too big for you. You don't want to get hurt. I thought I could ride my hubby's Polaris 400 Sport, I ended up eating a tree. Take your time, ride all the quads you can get your hands on, and make your final decision from there. It took me two years to find the right quad for me. You can find all the information on the net. You will need something with easy suspension, good turning radius(s) and ease of handling. Have fun and ride safe! Always wear a bean protector!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...970&a=11043178