Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2001 | 09:42 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I already know what I want in a quad, but I just don't know what quad has all of the things I need. I want a quad that is automatic. I'm a beginner and only drove once. So I want to practice more without having to mess with gears. I want reverse! I'm very small and I'm afraid I won't be able to turn the thing around if I get stuck on a narrow trail and have to turn around. I also want a starter switch. Again it's less to mess with. I want something that is easy to turn cause I'm small but I don't want it tippy either. I want to be able to go around corners and maybe slid around a little if I want without tipping over and killing myself. Oh ya... one more thing, I have a problem with telling how much gas I have left in the tank, so I would like a gas gauge.If you could tell me the quad that best fits this description it would be greatly appreciated! Thanx in advance!

no quad(sad but true)

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi There,

I just bought a Polaris magnum 325 4x4. It seems to fit most of what you are looking for and is reasonably priced. It's motor is big enough to have fun, but not overly powerfull. Top speed is about 40Mph, fast enough to have fun but not crazy. It's auto, has reverse, electric start, headlights, etc. You can get it in 2x4 as well. My wife is tiny and she loves to drive it. It was a little hard to steer at first but she got used to it quickly.

You may also want to consider the trailboss. It has the same engine, but is a little cheaper, I think because it does not have the racks and only has 2wd.

Check out my site below for some pictures.

Old 02-06-2001 | 10:57 AM
Range Rover

2p. if my 5'3" 103 lb. 'ol lady can manage an arctic cat 500auto, anybody can(lol).you may want to consider the kodiac, it's light, plenty of power and has all the pre-requisits you require. i just didn't like the rear suspension for my applications. where in n.y. state are you. and "sad but true" is a great song.....later

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Well the Polaris is one option. My self I'd go with the Yamaha Kodiac (automatic). With this bike you have lots of power with the 400 engine. Some say that 400 is to big. In my opinion it has the perfect power for both work and play. You have the option to switch from 2 to 4 wheel drive. Another thing to mention is Yamaha Kodiac was voted 4 wheeler of the year (2001). Oh you also get gas gauge and speedometer. It comes in 3 colors blue, red and green. Keep in mind that regardless of which 4 wheeler you purchase get a winch. That will save a lot of pushing should you get stuck. I'm not sure exactly how much a Kodiac is in the U.S but its probably more than the Polaris.

Good Luck

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:05 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

The only quad I've ever drove was a grizzly.It was very hard to steer at first but I got the hang of it by the end of the day.It made me get tired very quick and as I was on my way home I ended up crashing.It wasn't just because I was tired. I was going to fast across a field and when I came over this hill I had to turn right after it and I couldn't. I know I shouldn't have been going that fast for the first time but I think I might have been able to pull out of it if it wasn't for the fact that it tired me out because of the wieght and since I was already tired it made it impossible to turn. Now I know you'll get tired after a day of riding, no matter what quad you have but I think I would have been able to go longer and avoided the crash if it were lighter. But like I said, I don't want it too light so that it tips over on turns.

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:10 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I live in Gouverneur,NY. That's in St. Lawrance county. About 1/2hr from Watertown.

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:18 AM
Range Rover

well, a grizz is a rather imposing bike to start off with, wouldn't you agree. speed, is a dangerous option when you don't have that much experience. test some quads that fit your frame and level of comfortability. learn how to lean into turns, using your weight to balance out the inertia. start out slow so you will be around to enjoy the sport.

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:23 AM
Range Rover

i live in delaware county, we're practically neighbors, huh? have some good snow to cushion those high speed stunts?lol.i couldn't work today so i guess i'll just have to blaze some new trails in the fluffy stuff. oh well, life is tough.

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:30 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

I don't have anything to ride. wwwwaaaaaaaaaa!!!! And my boyfriends quad is being fixed for the next racing season. Nothing to ride, getting cabin fever!!! your lucky

Old 02-06-2001 | 11:34 AM
Range Rover

how much are you looking to spend? that will pretty much dictate your choices. look into some left over 2000 models,, you can usually get a real good deal on one.