Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Missouri Law question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missouri Law question

I am considering buying an ATV that has no title, I live in missouri where we are supposed to register it. does anyone know the penalty for riding on public land with no registration?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Dont know first hand, but I found this.. make of it what you will

http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/C300-399/3010000716.HTM

Old 03-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

you have a better chance of know one knowing on private property. If you want to ride on public land. national forest,chadwick,suttons bluff, st joe,finger lakes,ect...and get caught you will get fined for sure. This happened to guy i know at st joe. it was a random check by the park ranger and he got fined. They made sure it wasnt stolen too. he didnt steal it,just didnt pay the taxes on it.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

a fine i can deal with as long as they dont confinskate it

Old 03-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Pro Rider

You should be able to file for a lost title and get it legally registered so you wouldn't have to worry about it. I don't know about Missouri but I'm sure other states do this.
Good luck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

yes missouri has it where you can file for the lost title. Thats a better idea rather than trying to get away with not getting it registered. Dont quote me on this but i think its $30.00 o file for it, which beats paying a heavty fine.
once the taxes are paid the first time on it (depending on the engine size,mine was around $600.00 for my 700cc) every 3 years you renew it and its only about $10-$20.00. It depends on where you live in missouri. I live in Arnold,mo but i register it at our farm in fredericktown,mo. Its cheaper there. As well as my truck and other atv.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

as far as i can find since i have no idea who the Orig owner was or if there ever was a title. I would have to petition the local court for a title, hire a lawyer, sand cost me several hundred dollars.

you can only file for a lost title if your name is on that title.

Trending Topics

Old 03-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

dang man, sounds like a bunch of crap. personally,I wouldnt even buy it then. there are others with tiles out there to buy.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

double posted

Old 03-31-2009, 08:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ride deepwater and fingerlakes often with my family. We have a total of five atv's and two dirt bikes. I have never been checked? I had titles for three of them when I bought them but never registered them. I don't know the law but this is my experience. I called finger lakes and asked and the Ranger told me you are not required to carry any paperwork to ride there. The state does have a sticker that shows its registered (like a boat) but I don't have them on any of our quads or bikes? I would buy a ride without a title without giving it a second thought as long as the seller was willing to give me a notorized bill of sale and I was confident it wasn't stolen. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Missouri Law question