Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need NON BIASED opinion's on my short list please

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:25 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Lightbulb Need NON BIASED opinion's on my short list please

Hi there people new to site and the atv world!

This is really one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.

Been doing my homework reading threads from you enthusiasts and putting together a short list for a mid size utility quad.

So i have three in mind they are the Polaris 550 the outlander 400 500 possibly 650 if I could come across a good deal. And the yamaha grizz 550. all which have their pros and cons.

I just seen in the atv magazine the sportsman won best in class but the only thing hindering that is a friend of mine (who is all about hondas) says his 87 honda still starts better than a polaris in the dead of winter (not brand bashing here). I don't think that is an issue now days with the EFI on most models.

I won't be needing it to do any work just some hard trail riding be reliable and king of the trail! (I hope) lol.

I would like to hear from a can-am rider espeacily about that visco lok that is good in open country but hinders performance on the trail riding so I've heard and also the steering and braking is a bit of a challenge as well on the trails. is it really that bad? because I really like the sportiness aspect of it.

opinions from anyone who has ridin any of these machines or know someone who has one would be greatly apreciated thanks from the first time poster! lizard89.

Old 04-19-2009 | 05:43 PM
Pro Rider

Hi, I've rode my dad's Outlander 800 a few times, it is a BEAST. It is really fast, and it handles really well IMO.

I've had no problems with visco lok, through mud or rocks, no problems. I've never gotten stuck with it, it is a really good system IMO. Of course people who've never rode with it or who don't really understand it will say it's junk. But coming from someone who has used it, it works well!

Old 04-19-2009 | 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

The Can Am cc for cc will be fastest. Best for fast trail riding.
Yamaha better on tight trails.
Polaris right in the middle, does all very well, great features.

Why not a Renegade 500?

Old 04-19-2009 | 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

I've never had any issues with Can-Am steering or visco lock. Visco lock is easy and seamless in mud and on trails. Some have trouble with it in rocks, but it just takes a VERY slight throttle input to keep the locker engaged - some riders seem to have problems with this but it's always worked well for me. Can-Am stock brake pads are not the best - they make a wierd grumbling noise and they wear out quickly. Just switch out to an EBC pad or several other aftermarket HD pads and they work fine. Engine performance of a Rotax 500 should be equal or better than the competitions 550's. One thing to consider on the Can-Am is that the 500 has struts on front instead of the conventional double A-arm found on the 650 and the 800. I have read some reports that the struts handle better and others that say the struts handle worse. I've never ridden a 500, so I can't compare.

Both the Polaris and Yamaha 550's are new model machines but have gotten very good reviews.

All of your choices are good ATV's. Compare prices, how they 'sit' for you and how good your local dealer is.

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:14 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

thanks everyone for your input very helpful!
but now i also came across a 06 kawi brute force for $5,680 (canadian)with roughly 1000 km on it and it's snorkeled too and said to be in great condition from a small dealer here in calgary is this a good buy? the only thing i see wrong with it is the tires are a bit warn.

Old 04-19-2009 | 09:17 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

oh yeah, not considering a renegade based on the fact there is no racks, would be my top pick though seen some vids on you tube looks and sounds bad a$$.

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

lizard89, if you go name brand in the midsized 4x4 class, you can't really go wrong. We have a 2005 Outlander 400 and that thing is unstoppable. It can climb just about anything and the trail comfort is unparalleled. However, I do have a few complaints. The shifter is horrid. I think this is a little better on the 500+ models, but the 400 has a horrible shifter feel. We have to rock the vehicle back and forth, push, pull and all sorts of crap to get it to change ranges. Kind of a pain, especially if you're plowing. I'm personally not a fan of the Visco-Lok, but hear me out. It works perfect, absolutely flawlessly. But like the Polaris system, you can never really choose the exact drive setting you want. With the Polaris, you're either in 2x4, or it automatically puts you into full-lock 4x4. With the Outlander, you're in 2x4, or you can put it in 4x4 but it chooses which wheel to spin based on whichever one has more traction. I'd rather just have a system like the King Quad, Grizzly etc. where you push 4x4 and you're in limited slip 4x4, then you flip the lever to fully lock the front diff. But that's all personal preference. One other small thing I don't like about the Outlander (I believe the Polaris has it too) is the single lever braking. Again though, just a personal preference.

I'd go to the dealer and try to ride as many of them as you can. I'd ride the Grizz 550, Sportsman 550, Suzuki King Quad 500, Outlander 400-650, and the Brute 650i.

Also, power steering might be another feature you want to look into. The Outlander's and the Kawasaki don't have power steering available, the others do. Price might be another thing to consider. You could probably get yourself a King Quad 750 for the price of an Outlander 400/500.

Let us know what you end up deciding on!

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lizard89
thanks everyone for your input very helpful!
but now i also came across a 06 kawi brute force for $5,680 (canadian)with roughly 1000 km on it and it's snorkeled too and said to be in great condition from a small dealer here in calgary is this a good buy? the only thing i see wrong with it is the tires are a bit warn.
Was it a 650i (Independent Rear Suspension) or a solid axle one? Its a good deal, but I'd only do it if it had IRS.

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by lizard89
oh yeah, not considering a renegade based on the fact there is no racks, would be my top pick though seen some vids on you tube looks and sounds bad a$$.
Just so you know, the Renegade is essentially the same thing as the Outlander. Its just a few pounds lighter and sportier looking.

Old 04-20-2009 | 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

I really like my Yamaha Kodiak 450, only complaint is when you ride through the mud, the brakes will squeak because of mud getting on them. Other then that, never had any problems with anything else. It goes through harsh riding trails at times, and will start right up after sitting in the dead of winter for a month. Does't even need a charger to aid a weak battery. I was kinda surprised that it kept it's charge this past cold winter.

It's also very comfortable to ride with the IRS. Top end speed is about 45-50 mph, but I hardly ever exceed 32 mph when on the trails, unless they are rock free. Oh, and I did not like the stock tires it came with, the Maxiss tires started getting cracks in them after 8 months, and I've gotten a bunch of flats within 6 months of bringing it home. Yamaha's finance deal was really good too! Yamaha does an excellent job building their ATV's. They make sure the electrical lines are well protected and with stand the abuse of wet conditions. I do however recommend applying some dielectric grease to battery terminals and electrical connections under seat for added protection annually.

Quick Reply: Need NON BIASED opinion's on my short list please