Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help selecting which atv to buy. utility/sport.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main difference is the suspension. The Renegade has a sport quad's suspension basically. When I rode my neighbor's 800X (at my cottage), it handled a lot more like a sport quad than a utility. The suspension is better than what a lot of sport ATVs have.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Range Rover

Ya the Renagade is awsome but who do you think has to carry all the baggage on the trips me. The only thing I wish it had would be a lock and carry cargo box or rack for the rear of the unit.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few options available for MINOR storage onboard the Renegade...

here are some pics:

Old 07-16-2009, 02:00 AM
Pro Rider
Thumbs down Wtf

OOO MYY GOOSSSHH, Y are you arguing about whats faster or sportier or what handles the best!!!??? I'm tired about all this crap about how good a BRP is, HAVE YOU EVER WORKED ON ONE!!!??? Probably not bcs you just send it back to the dealer. I have worked on 3. Guess what, there JUNK!! They are theee most hardest things to work on (those and KTMs). It's held together by plastic pins and one thing always leads to another. They aren't as popular here in America as they are in Canada, so parts have to get shipped from Canada. Check ebay for proof, you can't find any used parts for the BRP Renegade 500.

I say stick with the Jap. made quads, they are more popular so parts are easy to come by, and lets face it, easier to work on. I would recomend the newer redesigned Wolverine 450, the Rancher 420 (hydrolic tranny-no belts or clutches to slip), Scrambler, or Prarie-any size, there are others but I don't remember them right off the top of my head.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider

Wow man, you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I've done hours of work installing parts and doing some maintenance on our Outlander 800 without any problems whatsoever...I don't understand how you can say they are junk, and all this talk about plastic pins, like dude WTF

Any dealer will have the parts in stock... it's not like dealers don't carry any parts and any time you want one you have to order it.

The rest of your argument is completely invalid as they aren't any easier to work on (since working on a Can-Am isn't any problem). Why would you go with a worse quad when there are better ones out there? Why do you say stick to the Jap. made quads and then recommend a Scrambler?

Old 07-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While there are a few who may genuinely need a large machine, here in the Southwest we have learned to get the most out of a 2wd sport quad! This goes a long way toward shaping attitudes around here to utes! And while I do genuinely need a utlility about 10% of the time, the rest of the time a ute would be nothing but an Albatross around my neck. The bigger the machine, the worse it would be, so I limit the negatives by sticking with the medium size machines.

My experience has been that those with the least experience and least riding ability, are the ones that go for the huge monster big bore utes. For some reason, they seem to really appeal the the newb "senior citizen" crowd, who imagine that they can rely on the machine rather than their own abilities (better unspool the winch, grandma!). These are the folks most likely to get themselves hurt out there, and should have bought Rhinos that have roll cages, instead!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:18 PM
Range Rover

I would put polaris out of the question, they are prob the best atv out there(if it wasent for reliabliitly, my buds i go with EVERY WEEKEND i put 5000m a year on,their polaris's are in the shop every wekend,not joking we hardly go with them anymore , 800cc and 500cc(both 07), I would Highly recomend a brute force 650 (id pwn the reni 500) mebe not top end but its a better bike, (top end about ...65??ish) Kawasaki sell there atvs cheap beacause, (cheap tires that last 200mil,no bumpers,weak skids,)therfor they sell good u just have to mod, a 450cc kodiak is aloso nice, top end about 55m not that fast, but reliable and really fun to drive, 450 wolverrin is fun as well more power as 450 kodi but kodi is more mud oriented

Old 07-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Range Rover

I AGREE WITH BEASTY, can ams are not the most reliable but ther not bad either, hondas are not that reliable as they say,

1 kawi
2.yami
3 suzuki
4.can am
5.artic cat
6. honda.
7. popo