Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

850XP / Grizz 700 / ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the Outlander 800 is the most powerful Utility ATV on the market right now...so snow won't be a problem!

Ours is really comfortable, I feel comfortable when sitting on it and when riding it. The suspension IMO offers a good balance between comfort and sport... maybe it's just the way I have it set up. I've sat on Grizzly 700's and XP 850's and I wasn't really a big fan of either... mind you that's just me.

It handles really well also, with the long wheelbase MAX model that we have it always feels stable, even when making tighter turns.

Durability has been fine for our 08. Nothing has broke or even functioned poorly. Can Am also offers a standard (free!) 3 year warranty on all of their quads.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks ALL for the feedback. More opinions are welcome and greatly appreciated. Will be going to a dealer this weekend to sit on them. Never really considered the Can Am, but if it's a good machine as a lot of peeps have said it is, then it is worth a look. Especially since it does have a 3 year warranty.

A buddy of mine bought a 500 HO 09 Sportsman and he loves it. But had less than 5 hours on it and had to go back to the dealer because the fan went out on it. Never even had it on the trails yet. With a 6 month warranty that the mfg's offer, I am not sure that I will even use it that much before it even expires. Summer is too short here and I spend the majority of my time boating.

I see there are 3 models for the 800R. Are the XT / XTP worth the money?

Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

I'd definitely say that the XT is worth the money. It includes the heavy duty front/rear bumpers (standard 800R has neither), 3000lb winch, special wheels/tires, handlebar wind guards, and some other stuff.

Oh, just checked the can am site, XT now has:

* New dual-mode Dynamic Power Steering (DPS)
* New Visco-Lok QE with quicker engagement point
* New 650-watt magneto for more power output
* BRP XL3000 winch with roller fairlead, wired remote control and integrated winch remote storage
* Heavy-duty front and rear bumpers
* New XT-specific cast-aluminum wheels
* Carlisle‡ 26-inch ACT radial tires
* Handlebar wind deflectors
* XT color option: Yellow, Red or industry-exclusive NEXT® G-1 Vista™ camouflage.

And the XT-P has:

* New dual-mode Dynamic Power Steering (DPS)
* Premium painted black plastics with yellow side panels
* New Visco-Lok QE with quicker engagement point
* New 650-watt magneto for more power output
* BRP XL3000 winch with roller fairlead, wired remote control and integrated winch remote storage
* Heavy-duty front and rear bumpers
* Mudguards
* Black XT-P-specific cast-aluminum wheels with color-matched inserts
* Carlisle‡ 26-inch ACT radial tires
* Handlebar wind deflectors

Basically the XT-P is just some new plastics and different wheels. I'd say go for the XT if you like the Outlander in Red, yellow, dark green, or camo... but if you'd rather have black with yellow accents (see picture on can am website) then get the XT-P. I'd probably just get an XT and save the money, but hey that's me.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your #1 priority is reliability / durability, get a honda...

Old 07-23-2009, 07:07 AM
Pro Rider

You can't say that a Honda is any more reliable or durable than any other ATV out there. You're just a fanboy trying to say that his company of choice is the best. Look, Bombardier has been making sleds since 1937. Honda wasn't founded until what, 1950? So why wouldn't Bombardier's product be just as reliable if not more reliable since it's been around longer and therefore has more experience?

The same thing is true in the Auto market. Everyone thinks that Hondas and Toyotas are the most reliable cars out there. They are no more reliable than any other car. My dad inherited a 1996 Dodge Dakota V8 from his dad in 1998 and that thing never had a single problem, and we sold it in 2006. Our 2006 Dakota never had any problems either, and we just traded it in a few weeks ago for an 09 F150.

Of course someone in here is going to come in and say oh ya i was out riding and i saw like 5 outlanders ALL broken down at the side of the road OMG and i was on my Honda and i went by fine... get a grip. Just because another company is making a product that is better than yours doesn't mean that you have to spread random crap about how your company's machine is SO much better or whatever.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Canadian144
You can't say that a Honda is any more reliable or durable than any other ATV out there. You're just a fanboy trying to say that his company of choice is the best. Look, Bombardier has been making sleds since 1937. Honda wasn't founded until what, 1950? So why wouldn't Bombardier's product be just as reliable if not more reliable since it's been around longer and therefore has more experience?

The same thing is true in the Auto market. Everyone thinks that Hondas and Toyotas are the most reliable cars out there. They are no more reliable than any other car. My dad inherited a 1996 Dodge Dakota V8 from his dad in 1998 and that thing never had a single problem, and we sold it in 2006. Our 2006 Dakota never had any problems either, and we just traded it in a few weeks ago for an 09 F150.

Of course someone in here is going to come in and say oh ya i was out riding and i saw like 5 outlanders ALL broken down at the side of the road OMG and i was on my Honda and i went by fine... get a grip. Just because another company is making a product that is better than yours doesn't mean that you have to spread random crap about how your company's machine is SO much better or whatever.

well, for one, look at my sig. i have a 1984 honda trx 200 bought new in 84, not a single issue with it in 25 years. not even a carb adjustment or cleaning. how's that for personal experience of reliability? also, i am a fanboy of their reliability and a few other things like their trannies that nobody else has. i do not like that they dont have diff lock. i am simply saying that they are reliable, and up here in wisconsin, whenever i drive by a farm, i'd say at least 3 out of 4 farmers have a honda foreman. 2 of my good friends that have farms also have foremans and swear by their durability.

im not here to start a fight. i am giving my opinion based on close friends experiences and my own. i also have a good friend with an outlander 800 that he plows with and trail rides and he loves that.

just trying to help a fellow atver out....

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

I appreciate all the feed back that I have received. If I can find the time I will be going down to an Ohio dealer on Saturday. I am thinking the 850XP might be my best bet. $8299 for the machine + $1050 Plow and winch, + 6% sales tax = roughly $9900. Does this seem like a fair to good deal, or should I wait a little while longer for the 2010's to hit the floor and get a better price? I live just outside of Detroit, and they are $1000 cheaper in Ohio.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:37 AM
Shapeshifter Rider

Don't make the mistake of buying the Polaris winch. They are junk and so is the glacier plow set up. Find a nice Warn and plow.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 07 Grizz and it was a great and reliable machine I now have a XP850 and I like it way more than the Grizz great power, unbelievable ride good ground clearance. Some of the common problems I have herad of are rear axle clicking,ball joints and burnt belts some problems are rider error. I only have about 300mi on mine and no probblems so far if your worried about reliability consider an extended warranty you should be able to get a 3 year for about 6-700 dollars. If 8300 is for one with EPS thats a good deal I would see if your local dealer would come close I got mine for 8000 but had to drive about 90mi. Let us know what you do.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by scrambler400enoge
Don't make the mistake of buying the Polaris winch. They are junk and so is the glacier plow set up. Find a nice Warn and plow.
Agreed on the winch but the Glacier 2 plow and frame made for the XP's is built better than the pre 2009 machines I am satisfied with mine and I plow 7-8 miles of gravel/dirt road with no problems!

Quick Reply: 850XP / Grizz 700 / ?