Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

farm atv

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default farm atv

I am wanting to buy a farm bike but can't make up my mind what to get
It would have to carry a bit. I was looking at the Honda 250 but it does not carry much weight The yamaha's look to high off the ground. Any suggestions

Old 10-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great idea to stick with a machine that is planted and stable! You don't need a long travel big bore mud monster for this application. Guy got killed out here on a job site a while back, when he rolled his quad on top of himself while trying to cross a ditch....

Honda's weight carrying limits are very very very conservative...probably for liability reasons. Honda's will carry much more weight than the sticker/owner's manual indicates! But, any quad will become less stable with a load on the racks, so if you need to carry extreme loads , I would just pull a small trailer.

If I needed a pure work machine, I would consider the Honda Recon, Rancher, and Foreman 500....going up the list as the work gets heavier. The Recon is only available in 2wd, and the other two are available in 2wd models as well (assuming you don't need 4wd), so this will keep the price $1,000+ lower. All three of these have dead solid reliable air cooled engines (except the newer Ranchers...see below) and manual transmissions, that will run forever with just simple basic maintenance. However, best to avoid the ES pushbutton shifting option if possible.

There are several versions of the Rancher: The older 350 would be my choice for light/medium work. (Mine is 10 years old, and runs like the day it was new. Never ever done one single thing to it besides routine maintenance!) There is the newer Rancher 420 which if water cooled and fuel injected (it rips right off the bottom!), and would be a great choice if you also want to do lots of trail riding (they went for a more sporty feel here). The even newer Rancher 420AT has IRS and a totally unique transmission. Nice comfy ride in the rocks, but I would stick with SRA for a work quad...and the price goes way up as well on this machine. (Absolutely avoid the older Rancher 400AT automatic. Folks are having tranny issues with it....)

There is also an older version of the Foreman, the 450. It has a great "work quad" repuatation as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:47 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

For heavy towing and carrying get a Straight axle, If you go Honda try and get the Foreman they have a full size chassis,super low 1st gear and dual shocks vs a single shock in the middle which must bring up its weight carrying limit.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you can find one used the Polaris ATP has a load carrying capacity of 400 lbs. in the rear and has a straight axle. It will also tow 1225 lbs. The engine to buy with this rig is the tried and true 500cc. I use the Polaris Sportsman X2 that has independent rear suspension rated for 400 lbs. It is not like a softly sprung IRS and I've never been wanting more capacity in the rear. It will also tow 1225 lbs. All quads, if pushed, can roll. Hondas are very stable because of the way they mount the engine and a shorter wheel travel than most quads. Good for work but not super heavy duty for my own needs. If you can, try out some quads with the kind of weight you are thinking of carrying. You may be able to get by with a smaller quad. For me, the big heavy duty quads are ideal. I carry wet firewood, generators, compressors, tools, etc. in and out of the woods with them and routinely pull a trailer with somewhere around 800-1000 lbs. If you really want the most stable, work oriented ATV out there the Polaris Sportsman 6x6 is by far the most you can get in a machine with the width of a quad. It has a decent sized dump box and I think 1500 lbs. of towing. If it is just a hay bale or two, most any utility quad will do it.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default farm atv

Thanks very much for all your input I think I will stick to the Honda 250
I am in Australia. When I have spoken to a couple of dealers here They have all tried to steer me to the Yamaha even though they sell both makes. I can't work out why

Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

the Honda 250 is great for that one.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 AM
Red Rider

The little Recon 250 is no powerhouse, but it is pure fun! Here, it doesn't come with a trailer hitch, and the dealer wants quite a bit for one. There are aftermarket ones available for much less.

Again, try to avoid the ES shifting option!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default ES is good

IF it breaks its a $50 part and two bolts and wire plug in to replace. I understand the ES problems were from 2000 - 2005 on several Honda units. Your giving up LOTS of convenience for YEARS of good service worrying about a cheap fix IMO. I bought a '06 Recon ES and love it. Especially for less experienced riders. Remember the red kill switch on these can be off and the engine will crank but not start. I had to help a lady out this past weekend with this. A very STUPID design in my opinion.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Red Rider

Originally Posted by knukey
Remember the red kill switch on these can be off and the engine will crank but not start. I had to help a lady out this past weekend with this. A very STUPID design in my opinion.
Stupid...no way! Where you been? This is standard throughout the entire motorsports industry. Lady just needed some proper training.....

That kill switch is there to keep from burning up your engine when you dump it over and the oil has all gone somewhere it isn't supposed to go. Plus, in an emergency...like a stuck throtle on an automatic where you don't have a clutch to pull in (now THAT IS a STUPID design!)....if you can't think of anything else to do.

As for ES, I wouldn't consider it a deal killer. If an ES is all you can find, or you are just in lover with the idea of button shifting, then go ahead. Just be warned that you might be buying into future problems....

Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you made a good choice based on your needs. The 250 is a great little engine. I've been on a friend's Recon (picture a 6'3" 350 lb. guy on a Recon) and it got me around fine. Would I want to try to pull my trailer with firewood in it? Nope, but a strong little guy.

Quick Reply: farm atv