Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

"ATV Care"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "ATV Care"...

Alright i'm finally in town and picking up my new ATV which will be my first ever ATV...how often will I need to get the oil changed?...is there something special to do in the winter to a ATV?...what is something to NOT do or ride on because it causes damage?...

Also...for the gas...should I buy regular or premium?...

Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Minus, what model and maker are you getting. Maintenance varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. Let us know what you're getting and post your questions in the thread for that maker.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

If you are new to ATV's is to read your owners manual for all your basic needs of your machine if you dont have one do yourself a favor and buy one from your dealer or online. Congrats on your new machine!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:45 AM
Trailblazer

Do:

1. Go out and get it muddy
2. Have a blast
3. be careful
4. wash it if you want
5. keep rubber side down

Dont:
1. crash

Kidding aside...we are not sure what you are looking for. Service intervals will be in the manual. Keep the air filter clean and tires aired up and ride. I run reg or premium depending on whats available where i am.

Just keep one thing in mind...this is an ATV, it will get a little beat up. Thats the fun part. I HATE when im on a trail ride and someone is so worried about his machine that he complains about too rocky or whatever. If you want to keep it new, drive it around your yard. If you want to use it to have fun go out and ride and dont get bent out of shape about a ding or scratch here or there! First weekend i had my (new) 07 met up for a trailride with some friends. I knew the trails...rocky and pound the crap out of you and your bike. Got done and i had the rims and skid plates perfectly borken in!

Old 04-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by dmtaylor64
Do:

1. Go out and get it muddy
2. Have a blast
3. be careful
4. wash it if you want
5. keep rubber side down

Dont:
1. crash

This is true. lol. but yeah congrats on the new machine, i know you'll love it. i will add this about the gasoline. in mine, whenever i ran regular versus premium, i did notice a difference, literally in the vibrations of the engine. i heard and felt a difference. many people may not believe theres a diff with fuel, but i do. i would always recommend premium if you can afford it, unless your manufacturer advises otherwise.

Old 04-17-2010, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by SundiroSunray90
This is true. lol. but yeah congrats on the new machine, i know you'll love it. i will add this about the gasoline. in mine, whenever i ran regular versus premium, i did notice a difference, literally in the vibrations of the engine. i heard and felt a difference. many people may not believe theres a diff with fuel, but i do. i would always recommend premium if you can afford it, unless your manufacturer advises otherwise.
Actually so far I only ran thru 1 tank of gas...when I first got it I topped it off with regular cause I didn't wanna mix fuels...wanted to see if it was a difference so I ran it out of fuel...then I filled it up with premium and yes I will agree...it is a difference...to me it mad the ATV a little louder during acceleration...that was a good thing...but I didn't notice anything about the vibration...but the biggest difference I noticed was the engine response...it felt a little bit more powerful and energized I would say...might not help some people that been going thru tanks and tanks of regular...but the bike is brand new...so it will get premium and anything else sport that I buy brand new...my bike won't feel no stimulus package!...