Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking to Buy an ATV - Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy an ATV - Newbie Questions

New to the site and hoping the experts out there can help us out.
We are looking to purchase an ATV and don't know much about them. We had the good fortune to borrow a couple of different ones this past winter, so have a little idea of a couple of things we want.
Here are the wants -
2 riders
automatic
4 wd
Must be able to haul about 400 lbs, so don't know what size of motor we need, or what we should be looking for. We are purchasing it to mainly use it in Mexico on trails and on the beach. We aren't going to do be doing any daredevil type touring. We are snowbirders and 60ish, so are just looking for a solid, reliable unit. We may also use it in AZ,CA and other states so understand it must be legal for 2 riders.
We hope to find something used, 5 years old or newer. Would appreciate any suggestions on sizes, manufacturers or just general tips.

Another question - how would you find out the rules and regs for each different state. I know that we rented an ATV in Sedona, AZ one time and were allowed to drive it on the road but doubt that is standard.

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

-polaris makes a good 2 seater(not the side by side) that others will be able to tell you more about as i have no experience with the polaris,
-Another is the can am outlander max. I think it can be bought in a 500cc,650cc,and 800cc. Powerful bikes and probably going to be the most expensive.
-Then you have the Arctic cat trv. made in (older400cc,would not recommend as i've heard the motor is too small for the trv model), there is a 550 efi model i belive,a 700efi,and a 1000efi trv model. If your intrested in any of these models just go to their websites and check them out. All of these models will have more than enough power to haul whatever you want,way over 400lbs. The only issue is if you are riding double,then you will lose the rear rack space. i think that all these models mentioned come in EFI(electonic fuel injection) so altitude is not an issue.
--You also have the actuall side by sides.
Arctic cat makes the prowler in a 450,550,650,700 and 1000cc. all efi but the 650
honda makes the big red. its big.
yamaha makes the rhino in a 700efi
polaris has a 50" wide 2 seater,the rzr model 800cc which is made to run on all legal atv trails. they also have the ranger,but i think its best used for work as the bench seat tends to hurt your back after while.
can am is supposed to have one out sometime but not sure when.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the forums! there are a few people here that own the 2-up models, so they should be chiming in. all 2-up models, regardless of brand, are automatic. definitely go to the manufacturers' websites and do the research, as stated above. even though you are looking at a used model, this can still help. as for state atv laws, should be able to google search that. good luck!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Welcome! Can-Am or the Polaris for me!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Hello, Patee. Welcome. As has been said, as far as quads go there are three companies that make them. Polaris offers 2 flavors of 2-up machines. The X2 and the Touring. The Touring is like the ACs and CanAms with a nice comfortable seat. Over the years Polaris had 500cc, 800cc, and now 550cc and 850cc. I believe they were introduced in 2008??? The other one Polaris has is the X2. This is a more work oriented machine. It has a pickup type dumping bed in the rear that is handy for small jobs. It can handle 400 lbs. in the rear box. The dumping bed converts into a passenger seat that can be changed in less than 10 seconds. For a great story about what an X2 can do: Quadtrek.net I use mine for hauling and trailering wet firewood up and down hills in VT, MA, and NH. It's a 500cc. They've been around since 2006 and have come in 500cc, 700cc, and 800cc. A big plus to me was the 6 gallon gas tank and the storage bin underneath the front rack. It now comes in a 550cc if buying new. CanAms come from 400cc on up to 800cc. Don't know much about ACs other than models made in the last couple years have a nice accessory box that fits even with a passenger. CanAms tend to be most powerful per cc, Polaris most comfortable riding.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks very much for your replies. It is always great to get advice from the experts!
I will check out the manufacturers website as noted.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the 2-up ATV's are nice for those couples who really want to ride together like that. If your wife is too timid to ride her own, it's a nice way.

The only things I notice about them though is that they are big, heavy and long... pretty cumbersome in tight places. I don't see many for sale used either...

At 60ish... I would go with whatever model sat and rode most comfortable.
That's going to be more important than anything else you could possibly consider.

Not saying it's all an age thing either... I'm 35 and ride performance machines, but wish I could afford to put a fortune into the suspension on all 3 of mine.

What I am saying is that comfort and ride quality is always at the top of the list.
A big engine or whatever means nothing off road if it rides like a war wagon.

It wouldn't hurt to double check on the Polaris RZR either.
I don't know how comfortable it is, but side by side could be nice too.
Plus it has a roll cage and stuff.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the kawasaki teryx 750 is another that was forgot. It is a side by side though.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all your replies.
I am a little confused as we have been looking for a '2 up' because we have been told there are places where it is illegal to ride 2 people unless the machine is made specifically for that. We were told California was one state that had that law. (Not sure about any others, but thought we might as well get one that is legal everywhere.)
We are in Canada and used 2 ups are hard to find. We are going to the US in a couple of weeks so decided to try a few dealers to see if we could find one to import. When I spoke to one of the dealers today and asked about a 2 up he did not know what I was talking about, I explained and he said they are called TRV's not ATV's and that he has never heard of any laws that 2 people can't ride a regular ATV and that he goes to CA all the time and sees lots of people riding double.
The reason that we can only go with one ATV (2 up, TRV )is that we will be putting it in the back of a Colorado and pulling it with our motor home. We are in the process of purchasing said Colorado, just so we can haul an ATV.
Soooo... are we looking for something we really don't need or should we just concentrate on getting one that is comfortable for 2 people with the added seat?
We have seen an Arctic Cat 400 at a dealer - 2006 with very few miles (40?? ) They said they got it from another dealer and is basically new. They are asking $5600, but not sure if that is a good price? It is a 2 up/TRV.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

Well, first off, you better start checking LENGTHS AND WIDTHS if you plan to put it inside the bed of a small pickup you are going to be towing with a motor home...

The 2up ATV's are pretty darn long... and all the big utility machines are pretty wide these days... too wide to fit between the wheel wells of a Colorado.

Nothing but a kid's atv is going to fit in that.

As for the 2-up thing... YES a lot of places it is ILLEGAL to carry a passenger on an ATV if it is not a 2-up or side-by-side.

And on the side-by-sides, many are too wide to meet the width requirement to ride the atv trails.

Anyways, you might want to plan on a full size truck... maybe even a long bed...
Or plan on an "in-bed" ramp setup over top of the wheel wells...

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy an ATV - Newbie Questions