Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which ATV ???????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct the seats are short, designed for one rider if a second seat is wanted/needed but a storage seat box. The safest thing to do is buy a tru 2up machine. Polaris,Can-Am and Artic cat all make one!

Old 09-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

he has a 50cc sport quad but when we go fishing or into the woods behide the house he ride along.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Yamaha Grizzly line of ATVs fits that bill better than any!
Hows that? What does the grizzly offer that many other ATVs don,t? IRS,AWD and low range is what the guy is looking for and there are many ATVs that have that.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

"I was thinking of something along the lines of a 4x4 with locked axles and skid plates. I like the idea of having 4 wheel drive at the push of a button maybe have low crawling gears and then high gears for a fast ride. What size should we be getting (300cc, 450cc, 700cc). Any models that I should look at getting."

This is why! This is what he asked for! Locked front end and push button 4 wheel drive! Well lest see that rules out all quads except the Grizz and King Quad! And since you cant get many Suzuki's right now I guess the Grizz will be the best option! Sure others have limited slip and such but the man asked for locked and by that definition the two quads listed are the ONLY ones that are capable of doing that 100% of the time!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider

I would definitely recommend the grizzy 660, they have good power and suspension. they have locking front and rear diffs. I know that they can be picked up for a pretty reasonable price too.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:19 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Can AM, Polaris and Kawaski have Selectable True AWD,Low range,Skid plates,also. They come in many sizes.

The Reason Can AM,and Polaris do not have diff lock is because its pointless with there AWD system,they have no 3wd mode to speak of to ever require diff lock. Most all 4x4 Kawaski,s have diff lock/low range and like mentioned Suzuki as well,

Old 09-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I would rather plan for a obstical ahead vs switching to 4 wheel drive while in it! Finding out you are only in 2 wheel dr while climbing a rock face and not being able to manualy switch to 4wd when needed kinda bothers me! JMO

Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

All this being said, I've never had an instance where I wanted my Polaris machines to be in 4wd and it wasn't. This was an old Xplorer, an ATP, and my X2 that I still have. Rocks, mud, ice, snow. If I put it in AWD it's there as soon as it is needed. I've crawled over everything anybody else on our rides has and then some. As long as they aren't broken the modern systems are AWD or 4WD with full front traction with the exception of Honda which has a limited slip on the front. Kawasaki has a weird little lever you pull to "progressively" lock in the front. Odd, but it works. With the CanAm it engages "progressively" as needed where the Polaris is as soon as there is any wheel speed difference between the rear and the front tires.

Old 09-22-2010, 10:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

I though every ATV was 4wd on the fly, only diff lock you have to stop and engage it. With the Polaris set up even in AWD ,the atv is in 2wd it just engages if the rear wheel slips a 6th of a turn,it unnoticeable the rider really never knows if he is in AWD or 2wd.

Here,s how much the rear wheels slip before the front Hillary engages, its undetectable . YouTube - Polaris AWD demonstration #2

Its like having a ATV that goes from 2wd to diff lock and back to 2wd in a nanosecond on its own, it just does not get easier than that.

The only reason to even put a Polaris in 2wd mode,is for higher speed power sliding so you can kick the back end around corners or do power slide u turns.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The Polaris system does work good ( owned one) but I would rather locked and cocked before heading into a bad obstacle rather than while in it! Just personal preferance I guess!