Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which ATV ???????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ATV ???????????

Hello to everyone, I'm new to the site and I'm looking for some advice. My wife and I like off roading in are jeep wrangler. We plan to get two used ones. We have no idea what to get. I'm 6ft tall 225lbs and my wife is 5' 10'' 150lbs. We go throw a lot of muddy trails, rocks, and snow. I was thinking of something along the lines of a 4x4 with locked axles and skid plates. I like the idea of having 4 wheel drive at the push of a button maybe have low crawling gears and then high gears for a fast ride. What size should we be getting (300cc, 450cc, 700cc). Any models that I should look at getting.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

i def would say dont get a artic cat, from my experience they suck, get some grizzly 700s

Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Look into a Can Am Outlander. I have a 650 and it is great!

Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for rock climbing, i'd say something with an easy locker. polaris has a nice awd system that locks in on the fly instantly when slip is detected. can am also has visco-lok QE. test-ride them and good luck!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll go on the assumption that you both have experience riding. Pretty much all the makers have machines in or around a 500cc. This is usually more than enough power to do just about anything. If you are in higher elevations or live where it gets really cold in the winter I would recommend fuel injection. And for snow and mud full 4wd is a must in my mind. Honda is super reliable but doesn't have a full locking front end. Kawasaki doesn't make a 500 class machine. Arctic Cat, CanAm, Polaris, Suzuki and Yamaha all have machines in this category. I don't know much about the ACs. CanAm Outlanders are usually the most powerful per cc but have a frame that is a little on the weak side to me. You can buy an aftermarket frame insert to stiffen it up. I did this with my son's Renegade. Polaris Sportsman is a good all around machine with the most comfortable ride out there. Usually has the best storage of any maker for all the gear you want to bring along. Suzuki King Quad is usually the best bang for the hard earned buck. Yamaha Grizzly 550 is another great all around quad. All these quads have EFI, independent rear suspension for a good ride, and good power. And all of them are even available with power steering. If you don't have much experience I would recommend borrowing a friends or maybe renting a machine for a day and seeing how you like it. If you can, take test drives and see which machine meets your needs the most. Arctic Cat, Polaris, and CanAm also make 2 person ATVs. This might be another thing to think about.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by oldschool32087
i def would say dont get a artic cat, from my experience they suck, get some grizzly 700s
I just bought 2 AC'S.....a 2005 400 and a 2008 700....have been very happy with both machines.....

these two beasts go through and over a ton of stuff.....12" of GC, and 10" of play in the independent suspension.....

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything 400cc or above will fit the bill. The bigger machines are just capable of getting you there faster at times. The lockers are nice, but unless you are rock crawling or in deep mud you would likely not miss it.

Trending Topics

Old 09-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by rich_1833
Hello to everyone, I'm new to the site and I'm looking for some advice. My wife and I like off roading in are jeep wrangler. We plan to get two used ones. We have no idea what to get. I'm 6ft tall 225lbs and my wife is 5' 10'' 150lbs. We go throw a lot of muddy trails, rocks, and snow. I was thinking of something along the lines of a 4x4 with locked axles and skid plates. I like the idea of having 4 wheel drive at the push of a button maybe have low crawling gears and then high gears for a fast ride. What size should we be getting (300cc, 450cc, 700cc). Any models that I should look at getting.
Welcome! There are ton's of great quads out there but for the specifics you are looking for the Yamaha Grizzly line of ATVs fits that bill better than any! For you I would highly recommend the Grizz 700/660 and for her a Grizz 450! Both will do EVERYTHING you just asked for and then some! Good luck let us know what you decide.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I like the look of the Polaris Sportsman so we went and test rode a 2010 Sportsman 800efi. I've never ridden a utility atv just dirt bikes and sport atv's. Anyway the ride was great but the power was not there that I thought would be there for a 800cc. Also I don't know if I could live with the Polaris Clunk. All in All the clunk is why I don't own 2 of them yet. I could live with the rest. I do like the 4x4 system on these the best.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by DODGE57HEMI
Welcome! There are ton's of great quads out there but for the specifics you are looking for the Yamaha Grizzly line of ATVs fits that bill better than any! For you I would highly recommend the Grizz 700/660 and for her a Grizz 450! Both will do EVERYTHING you just asked for and then some! Good luck let us know what you decide.

I also looked at but didn't ride the 2010 yamaha grizzly 550. There's some times I like to take my 3 year old along for the easy rides. The seat just didn't look long enough. (i know its made for 1 person but...) They only had the camo and that's just not for me. Other than that it looked good.