Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What quad is the best buy out of thease 3 for trail ridding?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CVT11
After telling my dad that a 500cc class atv is a good trail bike he said that he likes the suzuki king quad 500 with ps.now he needs to find one under 7500$
I,d have to have a set of weak arms to care about PS that much, a 750KQ without PS cost the same as a 500KQ with PS. Plus the 750 has a extra 3rd headlight.
2011 Suzuki KingQuadŽ 500AXi Power Steering ATVs

Never rode a ATV that I thought was in the least hard to steer but rode many atvs I though where under powered and needed brighter lighting though.LOL

Old 11-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Range Rover

For quite a few years, the 500 class of machines were considered the "Big Bores" so to speak... and had more than enough power... at least for the riders who actually knew how to ride. For those other folks, no amount of power would be enough, and probably only get them into bad situations.

The 500 King is geared lower than the 750, and with a quick and easy shim mod, it can be made even lower. The 500 has plenty of power and low end grunt. With a few other easy mods, it can be made even "snappier"... and it's still a very, very smooth quad with great mileage. As for the lights, all stock ATV lights suck. Anyone who needs good lighting should consider some fine alternatives. My stockers got replaced days after I had the machine.

The power steering is much more than "easy steering". The amount of bump steer that it reduces is amazing. A long day on the trail with an ATV with power steering is a piece of cake. Getting through tight spots that can almost bind up a non-EPS machine are much easier to tackle with EPS. If one plows snow with an ATV, the EPS is a big bonus. The only negative is the original cost, and the possibility that it might break. Suzuki quality is very good, and the EPS should hold up. If it were a PoPo, I might think twice about it. People who have never had it, or have not at least had the chance to use it on an all day ride, are just expressing an "uneducated opinion", and really don't have a clue.

That doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with a non-EPS machine. After all they've been around for years and years, and folks have managed just fine. However, the EPS is a great new feature. Just like EFI was a few years back.

I never thought I would want EPS... I'll never have another ATV without it now. As one gets older, being able to still ride all day because of one nice feature is really, really nice.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:06 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The 500 King is geared lower than the 750, and with a quick and easy shim mod, it can be made even lower
Not sure why a ATV with a low range would need to be geared lower. If the trail conditions reguire low speed and gunt just throw the ATV into low range,do not try and clutch the high range to be low.

I agree 500s have all the power needed to do any type of trail riding and work,but if a 750 and 500 cost the same I,m going for the 750 even if its power remain untaped most of the time.

Don,t get me wrong I think PS is a good option but its not a $1000+ option, it should more be like a $450 option at most for what it does.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by TLC
If the trail conditions reguire low speed and gunt just throw the ATV into low range,do not try and clutch the high range to be low.
I've been riding and working on ATV's for over three decade now, so please don't try and tell me how to drive an ATV or how to clutch an ATV. In return, I won't waste my time explaining how gearing works to you.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

Agreed. 450 Grizz.