Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

$$$ How Much is Upkeep/maintenance??? $$$

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $$$ How Much is Upkeep/maintenance??? $$$

Hi all, I have been doing as much research as possible to make a good choice when I go to purchase my first ATV and thanks for all the great info everyone.

I have noticed that so many ATVs have or had a lot of issues. I have noticed even looking at a 6-7 year old ATV there are engine rebuilds, many replaced parts etc....

I do understand forums are normally asking questions about fixing a problems etc but is there really high upkeep costs and that many maintenance issues on these monsters....

Thanks in Advance
JimT

Old 01-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

Its won't cost you a lot of money if you do regular maintenance.

IEil,spark plugs, greasing,oiling the chain or replacing belts,oil filters,gas filters,air filters.

If you do that every 6 mounths you will be fine (execpt for chain and belt) it costs roughly 100 a year to keep one in max condition.

Old 01-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Sometimes, those expensive repairs you have read about could have been saved by spending the money on routine maintenance.

The 450 sport/racing bikes can get a little expensive with oil changes, but for the most part, other makes and models really aren't that bad.

Add up the cost of a new air filter, spark plug(s), oil, filters and grease for one year. Go to your nearest dealer and see what the shop rate is for their labor. (guessing around 70-80 bucks an hour) Then ask the parts department how much a rebuilt motor would cost.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

This site is for people to ask questions when they have problems. There are more people without ATV problems out there then with them, but there out riding not typing.

Needing a motor rebuild after 6-7 years is rare or just bad luck.

The upkeep on a ATV cost no more than the upkeep on a car.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info!!! That makes me feel better about looking for one...

Old 01-27-2011, 08:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lube, oil, filter, and air filter are the main things just like a car. Some of the factory brand lubes are expensive but there are good alternatives to most of them.