Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

how do I convince my parents to let me get a quad

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I convince my parents to let me get a quad

I want a new yamaha raptor 250 for my birthday but my moms says that there to dangerous and my dad says there illegal. I have like 15 friends that ride in my neighborhood and a lot of them have dads that are cops. I talked to once of the cop dads and he said that he would get me out of the fine and the impoundment of the quad. Any way I can convince them to let me get on im 16 btw and ride my friends quads all the time. Thanks and im thinking about taking them to my local shop but idk

Old 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Who is going to pay for the quad? If they are paying I guess you don't have a choice! I would start by finding a legal spot to ride...don't take someone's word that they will get you out of something. I guess I don't know how much space you have in your "neighborhood", but I would not buy a quad for my kid unless I had a legal spot to ride it and I thought that he/she was responsible enough to not kill himself or someone else with it!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:51 AM
Pro Rider

Responsibility an maturity

Old 09-19-2013, 09:32 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Their illegal?
Where do you guys ride , the mall parking lot?

Buy your own and park it at a friends , mom and dad will not have a clue.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

If you don't have legal places to ride (Dedicated ATV trail systems or friend's land where you have permission to ride) you shouldn't be riding, period. Illegal ATVing has caused more laws against riding than everything short of accidents.

Have you taken a safety course? If you have ridden your friends' quads did you ask permission from your parents? If you were my son and I found out you did it behind my back I'd put it off for another year.

You haven't said what state you are from. Some states don't even have trails at all.

Like Papahouse, if it were me, you'd have to show maturity and responsibility. If you used the reasoning that, "just because your friends' drive in illegal spots", you should be able to too, you'd lose right there.

Last edited by MooseHenden; 09-19-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Range Rover

I remember when i was trying to get my first fourwheeler, and it took me a while to convince my parents. I almost made the mistake of nagging them too much, but eventually they broke down and helped me out. The first day i had it, we all rode it around the yard and the whole family loved it...next thing ya know they went and bought two more! It is a great way to spend time with the family!

Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the answers and im from long island ny and I also have a job and am willing to pay for it to.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:50 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wish I had used that line when my mom found pot in my drawers...

"but maah- all my friends are doing it and their cop dads will get'em off the hook- so you should let me!"

lol-

if you're living in their house and they are paying for your room & board.... it's their rule to follow.
the other option is to move out into an apartment, pay your own cost of living and then buy what ever you want...

otherwise- x2 on what moose said

Old 09-20-2013, 04:59 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
wish I had used that line when my mom found pot in my drawers...

"but maah- all my friends are doing it and their cop dads will get'em off the hook- so you should let me!"

lol-

if you're living in their house and they are paying for your room & board.... it's their rule to follow.
the other option is to move out into an apartment, pay your own cost of living and then buy what ever you want...

otherwise- x2 on what moose said
x3 on you Moose and x2 on you beergut! Just glad my son's 34 now with a family of his own and fessed up to all his hiding places in the house years ago..lol

Old 09-20-2013, 07:30 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

First off, be honest with your parents. If it were me and I found out I was lied to, you'd lose the atv, any phones you had, any game systems you had and about 3" off your behind.

The "all my friends" won't work. I'd just tell you all your friend can pitch in and buy it, insure it and fix it when it's broken.

You don't have to have one. Almost everyone here would still be fine without one. You would like to have one. Don't just get an atv. Get the gear. Get all the gear and not just a helmet. Show them you're being responsible before you even get on the atv. Show you can take care of it. Do you have a habit of buying things and just not taking care of them, or can you show them where you've gotten something before and took good care of it.

Most of all, don't whine.

Keep in mind, if they do let you get one, it's probably going to be the first thing taken away if you screw up somewhere else.

Quick Reply: how do I convince my parents to let me get a quad