Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need to pull stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to pull stuff

I have never been on an ATV, but I need a multipurpose work machine. I heat with wood and need something to haul with, out of the woods. I need to drag a tow behind brush hog and I would use it to get out ice fishing, dragging a sled. I'd like to be fairly comfortable.

I don't need to go fast. I'm afraid that would be one of the problems. I would have to take it out and run it, just to keep it in good shape. I take care of my equipment, so I would probably want something new. I like dependability, too. I will be alone a lot and would not be happy stuck in the woods.

Where I could run it for any fun would be sandy and I suppose that's about as good for these as it is for anything. I could just run it on country roads for workouts, but will the county sheriff care?

I need a new brush hog and I'm getting too old to pull loads of wood out on a sled on manpower. If we get enough ice to fish, I'd rather drive than walk now. I'm sure that I would find other uses, if I had one.

I would guess that it would be some type of 4WD diesel. Any problems with cold starting these days? I'd probably never pull more than a few hundred pounds, but I don't know if that's a lot for a small motor. Should I go big to be on the safe side?

In other words, I don't know anything about these and rather than fumbling around I hope that someone can suggest some of my better options for my application needs. I appreciate any advice.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

I use a 2003 Suzuki Vinson manual **** for pulling logs out of the woods. It's 4 wheel drive and can pull a 16" x 10' log with no problems. I like the manual transmission because I don't need to worry about tearing up belts. It's a sra quad which I believe is better for pulling. I also use it on the trails in the national Forrest and mountain riding. It can handle the mud pretty good. I'm 60 years old and really rely on it.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Btw it's a 500 cc gas engine.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a new diesel it has to be an Arctic Cat. Polaris used to make one but it didn't sell very well and they quit making it a long time ago. Anyway the new Polaris Sportsman 570 is rated to tow more than the AC 700 diesel. And the Sportsman 800 can tow 1,500 pounds. That's higher than any other brand that I've checked so far. Some brands don't even list towing numbers in their specs. They must be embarrassed. The ultimate work ATV would be the Sportsman Big Boss 6x6 800 EFI, the only 6 wheel drive ATV. It can handle 800 pounds in the box and still tow 3/4 of a ton. Other brands of ATVs are just as good but don't have the towing numbers of Polaris.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

X2 on what Jumbofrank said. The Polaris Big Boss uses a proven Polaris 800 cc engine and has true 4 to 6 wheel drive. The ultimate quad width work machine. Not as much on the fun side of things as a regular quad. 2014 Polaris Sportsman Big Boss 6x6 800 EFI Sage Green ATV : Features
Polaris also has the Sportsman X2 with a dumpbox that converts to a passenger seat in about 10 seconds. I used to have the previous 500 version and I can attest to the towing and toting numbers. I wanted more speed so I don't have it any longer. I used the dumpbox to carry a pretty good amount of wood. I made some wood sides to make the box deeper and used to load it up pretty high. Quad handled everything I asked of it really well. I'd consider it second only to the 6x6 as far as a work oriented machine goes and pretty fun when you're done with chores. Towing was very easy with the X2. Because of the 400 lb. rated springs in the rear it didn't squat more than an inch or two with a loaded 4x4x3 trailer that I use to haul firewood down from the hills in Vermont and New Hampshire. It now comes with power steering that would make chores even easier. 2014 Polaris Sportsman X2 550 EPS Sage Green ATV : Features

Straight axle machines like papahouse mentioned are generally better for towing than a independent rear suspension machine as the straight axle doesn't squat under load other than the tires flattening under the load's weight. But, they also are not as comfortable to ride as an IRS machine when you're done with work. So, they're a toss-up to me.

I don't think anyone makes a diesel powered quad anymore. Polaris and Arctic Cat made them but the demand wasn't there, so they stopped.

Lastly, there are the side by sides that are like small pickup trucks like the Polaris Ranger line. They are wider than quads so if your trails are tight they might not fit. The other makers also have good side by sides that are work oriented but I don't know much about them.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot to mention the 6x6 isn't really a trail machine although I did see one out on the trails one time. I wouldn't get one for anything other than work.

Old 12-29-2013, 03:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. I needed advice from people who have used them and know what is out there. The 6x6 might be what I need if I get in a pinch. Never saw one!

Old 12-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

6x6 would be great if you cut your firewood in the woods , then just fill the box full and haul it home. Not the tightest turning atv though, but it's a worker. If a utv like that fits your plans check out a kubota too, diesel available.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Now that Ragdude mentions the Kubota, I think there is a Polaris Ranger diesel also.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Just make sure it has low range and diff lock or a true 4wd system if pulling and traction is your thing. Its not about motor as much as gearing.
A 3 speed 680 Honda Rincon has a lower towing rating then a smaller 360 Kawasaki with true AWD and a low range.

IRS is much a more comfy ride harder to high center in deeper stuff. But a rear Straight axle does not carry trailer tongue weight on the rear suspension like IRS does.

Where are you from? No way to take a ATV ice fishing around here.