Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Yamaha or Honda

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 500 Rubicon can even beat out a 450 Grizzly let alone a 550 in a shootout. 4x4 ATVs Comparison Test Report - What's the Best 500 Utility ATV?

The 450 Grizzly also beat out the 500 Foreman as well. http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...ew.asp?code=85

The Honda loses in the big three features. Less power, Less traction and Less suspension.
As long as Honda sticks to low powered OHV vs OHC, No diff lock a SRA vs IRS and rear drum brake vs disk it will always get beat.
My old 1989 Yamaha 350 4x4 it still running around. Honda does not have the reliability angle cornered.
The 550 Grizzly has almost the same power as the flagship 680 Rincon and a higher towing capacity.

If I was getting a Honda I would at least get the Foreman for 2014 because it finally at long last has a diff lock option.
Its still a low powered OHV vs other 500s and has the SRA cement truck ride thought, but at least its a true awd now not a 3wd.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by BigNuge
That's a good thing then!

If I bought new today it would be Honda hands down. I have owned a couple in the past, and know several people who have abused the snot out of Hondas (and other brands, including Yamahas) throughout the last 30 years. By far the Hondas proved most reliable & durable. I have not owned a new machine since 04 (Honda Rincon, LOVED IT, had to sell it due to $$ reasons), so I may be out of touch with the newer machines. But my best friend with the 700 Grizzly having problems certainly steers me away from that one. It's a shame too, I think it is the best looking rig IMO. And the power....wow. But if it doesn't run then none if that matters.
Ive owned them all and my point was that i have a lot bigger test area than just my friends not running right. I ride with at least 5 and no trouble with any, you have only seen one that runs bad, is my point. Hondas are the most reliable for the most part, but they are way behind in every other category.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Sasquatch, did you pick one out yet?

As others have said, I'd go with the Yamaha. Great all around machine. Not the most in power or in any particular category but a good all around quad.

Others I would consider are the Suzuki King Quad, and Can-Am Outlander 500. Suzuki KQ is another good all around machine for the money. Outlander 500 will run circles around any 500 class machine power-wise. If bottom dollar is the main consideration check out the Polaris Sportsman 570. The new 570 engine has been out for a couple years now in the Polaris RZR side by side. Have only heard good reports about it thus far.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

A lot of people are talking about Honda reliability but I have to question that. Here is a post describing what happened to my 2007 Honda Rubicon that is used very little, very well maintained and has had a very easy life.
My neighbor has a 2002 660 Grizzly that he uses to haul 20 cord of fire wood every year through some pretty rough spots. He plows snow on a regular basis. I do neither with my Honda. He has had basically no problems what so ever with the Yamaha and it has over 10000 hard miles on it. My Honda has just over 1000 very easy miles. I've owned nothing but Honda's for over 30 years but I'm now considering a 700 Grizzly or a King Quad?

Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

My friend bought a new 2003 660 Grizzly and has been on every trip with me for the last 10 years. He lives on a farm so even after our fishing/camping trips the ATV still is used and not parked.
All he changed was a battery twice and one front wheel bearing.
He never even looked at his belt yet.
The 660 is long discontinued yet could still beat "any" current new Honda in power ,towing capacity , traction and ride comfort.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

Well if its story time then ill chime in for one,lol. Out west in Wyoming i hunt with a friend and while we were getting permission to hunt a private land for some antelope the rancher( i dont mean honda rancher) pulled up on his grizzly. After talkin a bit my friend says,so how many mile have you racked up this year on that thing. Rancher says somewhere in the 7-8,000 miles just this year alone. I said "What?", The rancher said he puts about 10,000-12,000 miles a year on his machines. He buys new every 2 years and he buys only yamaha grizzly. In the end of the 2 years they have 20-25,000 miles on them and he does a couple minor repairs and thats about it. other than oil. He Said he never needed a new belt on any of his machines,and the engine runs strong till he trades them in. Tpo me thats a tried and true atv. Keep in mind,he stays out of water most of the time but it still gets used hard in the snowy winters.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe the rancher. My neighbour above recently bought a new belt for his as he thought maybe it was time for a new one. After getting it home he compared the two belts for length, width and thickness. There was virtually no difference. He returned the new belt and reinstalled his old one!

Old 02-13-2014, 04:15 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The used 2007 350 Grizzly I bought has the original belt.
I changed the belt on my SP500 after 2500miles and the belt looked good.
But at only $70 a belt and 30 minutes work, I think changing the belt every 2500 miles is pretty good.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for the input. Ended up going with the grizzly 700. Got a pretty good deal on it.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasquatch4040
Thanks everyone for the input. Ended up going with the grizzly 700. Got a pretty good deal on it.

Congrats, The 700 has been an industry darling for many years. I am sure you will love it.

Quick Reply: Yamaha or Honda