Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Recommend a good, cheap, entry-level atv?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend a good, cheap, entry-level atv?

Hi everyone, I am new to the ATV scene and am looking for an entry level quad to get me started. I would be using the quad for recreation and riding on trails, but nothing too extreme. I've had limited experience on ATV's before, but only on utility quads.

Through my research I've decided I want a sport ATV with an engine size between 250-350cc. I also don't think 4 wheel drive will be necessary. My main issue is finding a good model. I have no brand preference, but I've heard good things about Honda and Suzuki. I have no idea what model I should get, as I'm looking to buy a used quad around model years 2000-2010. My budget is aprox. $3,000, but the lower the better.

Could anyone recommend a good quad for beginners that isn't too expensive? Also, where is the best place to look for used quads? I've been browsing craigslist but haven't found a whole lot. Should I go to my local dealer? I don't have a whole lot of mechanical experience so I wouldn't exactly know what to look for in a used quad.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

bump

Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just go for a 300 or 400ex. Good handling, reliable, plentiful parts. You will learn the clutch in short order. Good power band for a new rider. If you ever decide to sell later, they never really go for less than $1500 if taken care of.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

You will end up paying more at a dealership. If that doesn't bother you then that wouldn't be a bad idea. Craigslist can have some deals if you know what you are looking at. ATVs: New Prices, Used Values & Specs is a good place to check price of whatever you are looking for and here is a list of things to look for.
1. Have a friend or the owner help you raise the ATV up and stand it on the rear grab bar. This will allow you to inspect the undercarriage for any serious dents or damage.
2. Look closely at the frame, especially the shock mounts, A-arm mounts and intersections of frame components for any signs of rust. This is normally a sign of a stress crack and would require welding and repainting.
3. On 4x4 ATVs, inspect the CV joint boots. They should be in excellent condition. Any crack or tears will allow water and dirt to enter and cause costly repairs.
4. Also on 4x4 ATVs, if possible remove the front and rear differential inspection plugs. If the gear lube looks like chocolate milk the oil is contaminated with water and there could be damage to the bearings.
5. Check the engine oil to see whether it looks contaminated.
6. Shine a flashlight into the gas tank and look for rust. Yes, a gas tank can rush, and rust can cause carb problems.
7. Raise the ATV and support the front of it with jack stands. Then try to move each front wheel in and out from top to bottom and side to side to check for worn wheel bearings and ball joints. Do the same for the rear.
8. With the ATV on the ground, move the handlebars back and forth. This will identify worn tie rod ends.
9. Remove the seat and take the air box lid off. This is often overlooked. An air box can collect water and damage an engine. A clean air box and filter is a good sign.
10. Check all head lights, tail lights, the engine shut off switch and key switch.
11. Check the hand, foot and parking brakes. Do they operate smoothly or stick? Check for damaged or cracked cables.
12. Check the exhaust. Has the spark arrestor been removed? Almost every state and national forest requires that you have one. You don't want to get to a forest and then find out you can't ride because you don't have a spark arrestor.
13. Check for worn out tires or tires full of plugs. It's not really a problem, but worn tires or plugs should be a negotiating point on price. And the tires should be replaced with new ones. If you have never taken a tire off a wheel, don't do it. They are extremely hard to remove. It's much easier to remove a car tire from a wheel than an ATV tire.
14. Look closely at the front or rear sprockets. Each point should be uniform. If they are worn more on one side or have a hooked appearance, a new chain and sprocket set is in order.
15. After you buy a used machine, it's a good idea to change all the fluids so that you know you have fresh oil, etc.
16. Ride the machine.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can get a brand new Honda Recon 250ES for around $3800. Great beginners quad in my opinion. I bought one for my stepdaughter and she loved it.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Trailblazer

Suzuki Ozark is a great simple, and dependable atv to get started with.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex

I would suggest getting a honda 300ex. They are nearly impossible to break and It has reverse. There are plenty of aftermarket parts. Don't go out to the dealership and buy a brand new quod for 4,000+ dollars because you can find some really nice used stuff on craigslist. With about 2,000 dollars you can get just about any 300ex you want on craigslist. Just don't overpay because there are tons of them out there.