Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Advice on New Quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on New Quad

Hey guys, new to the forum here. Hope to get an opinion or two on buying a new 4x4.

So I have been fourwheeling all my life but haven't owned a bike or done much riding since I sold my 450R about 5 years ago.
I've recently been looking at getting an ATV again. Eventually I want 2.. 4x4 and then another sport bike. I want the 4x4 to come first so I can at least plough driveway in winter and keep the girlfriend happy.

Now I have always been a Honda guy growing up but have been thinking real hard on the Suzuki KQ 400 foot switch.(I want to keep things cheap/mid size) I dont need a big bike. However, I do like to ride pretty hard and I want most bang for the buck.

Now just last week i seen A Polaris Sportsman 400HO and I actuallu really liked it... I never ever seen myself owning a Polaris though.
What are your thoughts? Suzuki or Polaris? Any other recommendations?
I actually enjoy the straight axle on suzuki more for my style of riding, although the EFI makes no difference to me. What should I do?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

First, if you can, drive them both. Straight axle is generally better for power sliding and towing. IRS (independent rear suspension) is better for ground clearance, and has a more comfortable ride. The Sportsman 400HO is really a 450 with pretty good power. Sportsman would be a CVT transmission like most utility quads use. Very easy to use. Low range for plowing, deep mud, and snow, steep hill climbs, etc. Use the CVT like that and you'll probably never break a belt. Both quads have full 4wd available at the flick of a switch. I'm not sure if the Suzuki has a full locker in the front or not. I believe it does. Fuel injection makes for easier starts in the winter time and is not as effected by changes in altitude as much as a carb. is. Polaris has great on-board storage under the front rack. Loved mine on my previous Sportsman X2 500. Could fit a ton of gear in it. You might look at comparable Yamahas too. Not sure if they're in your price range or not. Just the random thoughts I had.