Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying new vs used?

Old 06-13-2015, 11:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here,s a nice clean 350 4x4 Honda for $3500. Selling it because the grand kids moved away. LOL I love it. https://nmi.craigslist.org/snw/5066191842.html

His Pics leave no doubt its in mint shape , even the pipe's black bait has not bunt off.

No speedo but it does not take a rocket scientist to tell it has not see much miles or hard ones.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I have to give it to you guys. You were absolutely right. Patience was the key. I managed to find a 2014 Honda Rancher with 75 miles on it yesterday evening for $4700. Needless to say, I snapped that one up. It had never left the guys manicured lawn and looks just like the day it rolled out of the showroom. He had a massive case of sellers remorse by the time I got there to pick it up. He said if I didn't take it he was raising the price on it in his Craigslist ad. Supposedly, he had a dozen calls after mine and even some while I was there looking at it.

Thank you all so much for the words of wisdom. You guys rock!!!

Old 06-15-2015, 12:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Def. have to be ready to pounce on the well priced ones. They don't last long at all.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer
Default Used quad idea

The best bike I've ever had were my 2002 Honda Recon 250cc, 19993 Honda 300ex, and 2003 Honda Rancher ES. We bought the Recon and the Rancher together in a package deal for a grand total of $2000. The guy we bought them from bought them new, but went to jail in 2003, and in 2015, his wife bought a Cadillac and wanted to put it in the garage where the Rancher and the Recon was. She had divorced the man and sold the bikes out from under him while he was still in jail. Then, in 2013, I wanted to do the recreational atv race at my county fair, so I bought the c 1993 300ex for $950 and raced it and then it became a recreational bike. If I had bought them all at once,b it would've have cost me $2950 for all of them and all I had to do is clean the carb, drain the gas, new breater, and a new spark plug to get riding.
Personally I'd would go with the 350 rancher es for $1200, but the Recon, the Rancher, and the 300ex are all amazing machines.

Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer
Default woops.. corection

When I said "19993 300ex" I meant "1993 300ex" got a little happy with the 9

Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default It all depends on a few factors

I have wanted to get a few ATVS for my family for a couple years. I used to ride when I was much younger and now that I have 3 boys I want to create great memories with them . We have rode with friends for a while but we needed our own obviously .

I bought a new 300 Brute in July. Mainly to have one that I could ride but ultimately my wife or my oldest son could ride. I then got the 2016 Brute froce750.

Next I will most likely buy a used quad since I have 2 I can count on for sure. I am not a mechanic but I am learning more and more about these engines. So with that said I have a friend that only buys used ATVS and has 5 of them.
He is a mechanic and buys great deals he sees and the. Will sell one of the five after and usually makes a profit off each one he sells.

If you understand engines and what to look for the way to buy used is check Craig's list everyday. My friend usually gets these insane deals and that's what he does. Most the deals he buys have only been posted for a couple hours at most.
I have seen him find another one he likes go buy it and make $1000 off the other . It's timing , people really search Craigslist religiously and those deals that are 5-9 hours old are the ones he buys. If it has been online for 2 weeks I can tell you there is a better deal for you.

I am looking to buy a raptor 700 used in Craigslist but I see more Suzuki ltr450 deals then anything .... I just don't know about them.

LASTLY SOME HAVE A LOT OF MODS AND THEY ADD MONEY FOR THAT, it can be a good thing but that could be why pricing is inflated .

Old 01-17-2016, 01:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Craigslist can be a source of great deals or a headache. Mods on a machine usually mean the owner ran the crap out of it. Not always but a quad with a heavily modified engine or snorkels and big lift and tires usually mean extreme abuse. I like the people that only buy a quad to go hunting and have low miles on an older machine that looks brand new. Older owners are usually a good thing too. I'd rather buy from a 60 year old than a 20 year old. A skilled mechanic can find great deals on craigslist. Buy something needing a little work for cheap, fix it and either keep it and ride it or flip it and make money off it. Sometimes people just sell something that doesn't run without even knowing whats wrong with it. Many times its an easy fix for a good mechanic.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by greg74
Craigslist can be a source of great deals or a headache. Mods on a machine usually mean the owner ran the crap out of it. Not always but a quad with a heavily modified engine or snorkels and big lift and tires usually mean extreme abuse. I like the people that only buy a quad to go hunting and have low miles on an older machine that looks brand new. Older owners are usually a good thing too. I'd rather buy from a 60 year old than a 20 year old. A skilled mechanic can find great deals on craigslist. Buy something needing a little work for cheap, fix it and either keep it and ride it or flip it and make money off it. Sometimes people just sell something that doesn't run without even knowing whats wrong with it. Many times its an easy fix for a good mechanic.
I agree 100%. I am not a mechanic by any means that's why I bought my first 2 new . I want a sport quad and might buy that used .
I looked at a used KFX 450 and was told it was barely rode and no hard riding . I looked all around it and saw so much rust everywhere and all kinds of evidence that this quad has been through way to much water and mud!! It was only 2 years old.
I would rather buy a older one that runs good cheap if all looks well. That way it isn't a huge loss but I will take my friends who is a mechanic ....

Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you buy new you have a warranty that you probably won't need. If you buy used you might wish you had a warranty. There are some real bargains used but there are also some money pits. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference by looking at them. I wouldn't buy used without a test drive no matter how good it looks.

Old 01-17-2016, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
If you buy new you have a warranty that you probably won't need. If you buy used you might wish you had a warranty. There are some real bargains used but there are also some money pits. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference by looking at them. I wouldn't buy used without a test drive no matter how good it looks.
People give me a hard time about buying new and I always say at least I kno it will run strong. If there is a issue they fix it !

On a sport quad I may still buy a used one or by that time I may get a new one and then I would get a raptor brand new .

Thanks for the advice !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying new vs used?