Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

3 Qs on price negotiations, 'title safety', and older Polarises

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 Qs on price negotiations, 'title safety', and older Polarises

Ok another three questions to help me get up to speed on getting my first ATV...

1- It's after the court clerk has closed and you're standing there with the guy after your test drive and you've decided you really want the machine he's selling, and if you don't put cash in his hand now it might be gone tomorrow. So how do you know there's not a lien on the title or that the machine is even his? Just wondering how you go about purchasing a machine and make sure you don't get ripped off somehow title wise.

2- How much do private parties generally come off their asking price if they haven't put something like 'FIRM' in their advertisement? Also, how much do dealerships generally come off their price?

3- I've been told to stay away from ten year old Polaris from a number of different people, but that they've come a long way since then. How old is the oldest Polaris I should consider buying used? Around when did they start to improve in quality?

Thanks

Old 06-26-2015, 12:47 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

#1 - Get it in writing. After it's in writing, let them verbally know it will be checked and they will be held responsible for any money you've put into the machine if it's not a clear title.

#2 - There's really not an answer for this. Some people ask a price above what they'd take, just to leave room for haggling. Others post the price they want. Dealers may have a little more room as they are going to ask for more than they paid for it. But that doesn't mean they will.

3# - Age may have some variance on the general condition, but just because it's 10 years old doesn't mean it's junk. There are some that have gotten a brand new machine and totaled it. This goes for all models, not just Polaris.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The title will state on it if there is a lien on it. Its as simple as that. Bottom line, don't buy anything that states it has a lien on the title. Just walk away. Plenty of other used machines to choose from. As far as price goes, I've noticed lately that dealers pretty much offer their bottom dollar price on any machine listed. The lower price generates interest and gets customers into the showroom. Once you're there, they have the opportunity to upsell you to a more expensive model. Private party varies. Some people leave tons of wiggle room while some use the same philosophy that dealers use to make a quicker sale. Condition is more important than age. An older, low-mileage well maintained machine that was treated well in my opinion is worth more than a newer machine with higher miles that was treated like a rental car.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Odd way of doing things . In Canada it the guy owes money on something that's his problem not the new buyer's problem Its not like the bank wants ever wants the machine back they just want their money.
They just garnishee the seller wages , sue him or sick a collection agency on him if he does not pay up ,not try to get the machine back from the new buyer to resell it.
Once the seller signs over the "ownership" papers the deal is done.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:26 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies everybody