Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Metric vs standard hex keys

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right on thanks!

Old 07-23-2015, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jgar
Its even more fun to start yelling and turning up the pressure when you realize the new kid cant read a tape . If they start to get the hang of reading a tape its time to mind F them with the 6/8" or 12/16" measurements.
Whoa, that would cause some severe brain burn... I liked the, "Go get the board stretcher out of the truck.", when they cut something too short because they didn't know how to use a tape measure. It was fun when you'd overhear them asking a more seasoned carpenter what a board stretcher looks like.

Back to original posting. I got a set of three Sears Craftsman hex and torx tools that look like jackknives. Come in handy a time or two and they cover most of the common sizes.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:35 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I liked the, "Go get the board stretcher out of the truck.", when they cut something too short because they didn't know how to use a tape measure. It was fun when you'd overhear them asking a more seasoned carpenter what a board stretcher looks like.
"Or go get me the left handed sheet rock hammer,it's in the truck box somewhere" My older brother had a drywall and acoustical company in the 60s-70s. He pulled that on one of our nephews many years ago that worked one summer for him. Plus before I worked on atvs I worked in commercial construction for him and several other contractors for almost 20 years. I walked stilts and hung many thousands of feet of grid ceilings over the years.. Don't think that helped the knees one bit along with the RA that came on later..

Old 07-23-2015, 07:44 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I had worked with my dad enough growing up I knew what tool was what. That was probably from bringing him the wrong tool a time or two. Wasn't falling for the fake tools when I got a construction job.

Oddly enough, that's also where I learned how to swear at something you are working on.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:21 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Whoa, that would cause some severe brain burn... I liked the, "Go get the board stretcher out of the truck.", when they cut something too short because they didn't know how to use a tape measure. It was fun when you'd overhear them asking a more seasoned carpenter what a board stretcher looks like.

Back to original posting. I got a set of three Sears Craftsman hex and torx tools that look like jackknives. Come in handy a time or two and they cover most of the common sizes.
I have that type of Allen wrenches in SAE, metric and Torx. They really come in handy and you're right about them having the most common sizes. The very small sizes are where I run into problems but those aren't on ATVs.