Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Metric vs standard hex keys

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metric vs standard hex keys

Brand new to ATVing, just got a '11 Grizz 700 and I'm putting together an emergency tool list to take along on remote rides. I'm looking at hex key sets and realized I have no idea if I need metric or standard. So which type hex keys does my grizz take?

And whichever it is, are all the bolts and nuts etc on the bike consistent...like are all either metric or standard?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Metric for the most part on all Japanese machines. Same for the hex head allen style bolts/screws. I know many atvs are made here now,but wouldn't think that would have changed. As for Polaris you would have to carry a tool box of metric and sae tools.

Old 07-22-2015, 05:55 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's one of the few things I hated about the Polaris X2 I had. Needed both metric and American tools....

Old 07-22-2015, 06:40 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I know it takes up space, but if it's used I'd carry a little of both metric and sae. You never know what the previous owner may have replaced, and with which style.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:48 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There are only 3 countries in the world that are not with the metric system (IN GRAY). The United Sates, Liberia, and Burma . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_system I though Great Briton still used the old standard system as well, but they must of changed to metric as well.

Looks like Antarctica is (gray) also.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:14 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish the US would get with the times and go metric. It's so much simpler and you rarely have any fractional sizes to deal with.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I wish the US would get with the times and go metric. It's so much simpler and you rarely have any fractional sizes to deal with.
It's lots of fun trying to teach a kid fractions to help you with carpentry. I thought they were supposed to learn those things in school.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:24 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My son still had problems reading a tape measure. Helped him build a patio cover and heard him say "little mark past the half inch mark" Had to show him from scratch that the tape was based upon 16th inch marks,then it finally came back to him or dawned on him one or the other..
Plus I've heard the cost alone to change the road signs would be tremendous. I think one of the reasons we resisted the change to the metric system.

Old 07-22-2015, 02:29 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Well I was in that group that were told we would be switching to the metric system so we had to learn it. And still learn the old system as well.

I'm teaching my wife the metric system.

Wife: "How far is 20 kilometers?"

Me: "20 miles."

Later...

Wife: "That seemed like a quick 20 miles."

Me: "It's because I'm driving in kilometers per hour."

Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
It's lots of fun trying to teach a kid fractions to help you with carpentry. I thought they were supposed to learn those things in school.
Its even more fun to start yelling and turning up the pressure when you realize the new kid cant read a tape . If they start to get the hang of reading a tape its time to mind F them with the 6/8" or 12/16" measurements.

Quick Reply: Metric vs standard hex keys