Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What is the best ATV and how does one purchase one?

Old 08-04-2015, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best ATV and how does one purchase one?

I imagine this question is a bit like asking "What is better - a Ford or a Chevy?" People like myself, who don't know much about vehicles, are happy with a machine that requires minimal maintenance and runs forever. Those who are more knowledgeable in this area probably have strong and conflicting opinions.

As a kid, my Dad had some Honda dirtbikes. They never worked great (the kick starters were broken so I had to push them in gear to get them started)..but they were 20+ old and still worked. I bet they would still start today.

Anyways I have been tossing around the idea of getting a four wheeler for my Dad (of course the rest of the family will also play with it) But what to get? I want something new that will last a long time and not need to be taken to the shop continually.

I want an electric key start, something that can carry significant weight (1000+ pounds).

Growing up, the neighbor kids had 3-wheelers, which I seem to remember them telling me they were illegal to ride off their property? 4-wheelers seem to be preferred. Do you need a special license to drive an ATV? Or some sort of registration fee for public trails?

What is the best way to buy new? Online? Local dealer?

Thanks for your insights,
M

Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

ATV's are just like trucks. You're going to get 100 different answers on which is best and which is worst.

From the sounds of the weight you're looking carry, a utility model is what you're after. Not really much experience on those myself, but I can tell you that a sport model would be pretty much out.

Now the next thing you'll get is the argument that some of the bigger bore models might be considered sporty.

As for reliability, I think Honda still seems to be one of the top models on low maintenance, and still keeps on chugging. But other manufacturers are keeping up with the reliability factor now. Some may require a little more routine maintenance, but keeping that up on any brand is one of the key factors of also keeping them reliable.

As for riding areas. This varies by state. Some can be licensed to operate on roads. (not highways) Some require special tags before you can take them onto certain state owned land. It gets really complicated and it's best to check with you particular states dmv or parks department for the real answers.

Buying has always been a face to face thing for me. Shopping on the other hand is a lot of online comparisons. Shopping locally isn't your only choice, but beware if you do go to another state, you might save some money on taxes. But you might also get hit for those taxes again if you have to register your quad.

I'm sure you'll get a lot more tips that are more in depth than this. Hopefully it will all help you make the choice and get you out on the trails soon.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No quad can carry 1,000 pounds but some cam easily tow more than that. The Polaris Sportsman X2 carries more weight than any other 4 wheeler I'm aware of. People in your state can tell you the rules about riding if you tell us where you're at.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want to carry a lot of weight, a side by side might be a better choice. You can carry more than one person at a time and most have a dumping cargo box that can haul usually 500 lbs or more and can tow much more than that. Something like an older Yamaha Rhino can be found many times for $5000 or less in good condition. A Polaris Ranger or Kawasaki Teryx would be other good choices too. All have fully automatic transmissions with high and low range, 4x4 and independent rear suspension.