Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beating off your knuckle joint

Old 08-10-2015, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beating off your knuckle joint

'11 700 Grizz here and I'm in the middle of disassembling one of my front knuckles to do a boot replace and I've most def reached a stopping point. So far I've got the caliper off as well as the 2 castle nuts for the knuckle and the 1 for the steering arm, but for the life of me I can't separate any of those joints the castle nuts were securing. I've beat on all of them using a big rubber mallet with no luck at all. Is there something else holding these joints together I haven't found maybe?

My next ideas are to try to detach the shock from the lower control arm so maybe that'll give way a little easier, as well as letting some PB blaster soak into the joints before pounding on them again. Thought I should ask on her first before using the PB though.

Last time I had to separate a joint like these was on my '96 Cherokee replacing one of my steering linkages. Had to get a special 2 prong fork tool to insert into the joint and pound away before it came apart. For some reason I don't think that'll be the answer for this one though.

I'm all ears.

Old 08-11-2015, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Heard lots of advice but in the end I opted for a tool from Harbor Freight called a ball joint separator, I think. Worked like a charm...

Old 08-13-2015, 12:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Disconnect the shock from the upper A- ARM tie the shock up out of the way if all else fails. It help me. I could not get the large hub nut off so I pulled the axle off with hub still attached and did the outer boot change.

Here is a video on it.