Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying first used sport atv

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks.. is it true , the closer to stock the machine is , the longer it will last ? If maintenanced properly. .. and with me being 6'2 225lbs, would a raptor 350 even be wOrth getting?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Trailblazer

Because I wanna go kinda fast and have to do very very little maintenance, besides the normal oil change ect..

Old 06-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a Raptor 350, but I would go 400ex at a minimum. You are gaining a lot, power, suslension, handling, aftermarket over the Yamaha. Going fast and minimal maintanence do not go well together. If you ride off road stuff, be prepared to do some wrenching yourself. Most of it isn't super hard, just time consuming. The 400ex is a good combo of decent speed and minimal maintenance though.

All the 400 class top out in the mid 60s at best. Most trail riding is done at a much slower pace. Heck, I usually averaged under 15mph xc racing.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot.. I really appreciate all the advice

Old 06-19-2016, 03:32 PM
Trailblazer

And knowledge

Old 06-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Trailblazer

What should i be on the lookout for when getting a used sport quad? I don't wanna get screwed out of 2 grand.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So many things. A couple generalities though.
I like to check the condition of the air filter, air box. I have even found the filter just laying in the air box not connected with dust in the intake��
Check the frame for cracks. Notorious spots are around welds, specifically shock mounts. A machine jumped hard and abused usually show issues here.

Check oil.

Look at the chain and sprockets. No kinks or frozen links, the chain should be clean and properly adjusted. Sprocket teeth should not look like little curled over waves.

Bushings and bearings should show little to no play.

Overall condition and cleanliness. If they can't clean it up nice to sell, it may never have gotten a wash and once over.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks again.. been a big help

Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The big difference in the 400ex and Z400 and KFX400 and also Raptor 660 is that the 400ex is an air cooled engine while the others are liquid cooled. It limits the 400ex's power a little compared to the others but it makes it more reliable with less maintenance. Unless you're racing, a 400ex will have enough power and suspension travel for most. When buying, check to make sure the machine doesn't smoke even when starting up. That's a sign it will need engine work soon. And also if it starts and idles easily. If not, once again it will end up costing you some $$$ soon as well with either electrial problems or carb work. Take a look at suspension components to make sure nothing is bent and if the wheels point straight ahead if the handlebars are pointed straight. In the end, no used atv will ever be perfect as wear and tear is normal but there's a difference in normal wear and tear and abuse.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks... I just hope I can find a reasonable deal without getting screwed. .. I don't mind paying a little more than its worth if it had been taken care of very well

Quick Reply: Buying first used sport atv