Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Advice on Quad Research Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 01:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Beautiful! Am a bit envious, although not envious of what I'm sure you had to put out $$$$$wise. But looks like a great machine, those that I've talked that own them said they wouldn't own anything else. I'm sure you will enjoy it for years to come.FF

Old 01-02-2017, 07:30 PM
Back Country Explorer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy New Year freedomflyer: I took the side plastics off my new Can Am today and studied the mechanics. It seems like a well built machine to me. I happen to admire the style and color of the machine. This is irrelevant to the performance of the quad of course, but it makes my buyer's remorse less.

The price is high on the Can Am quads. Time will tell if the high cost is worth it. The main test for me will be reliability. I will be very disappointed if I have to haul it to the dealer to fix this problem and that problem . Time will tell. So far I have 2.5 hours on the thing with no problems noted.

David

Old 01-02-2017, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Congrats...you went whole hog for the Cadillac version!! Nice machine, I am sure you will have fun. I don't supposed anyone mentioned that the real expense starts now that you have the machine??? Its them accessories that will add up quickly!!..LOL You will need trailer, and helmets and riding gear and a whole bunch of neat little items to be well equipped on the trail..Ha ha we always like to save the best for last..Congrats!

Old 01-03-2017, 06:54 PM
Back Country Explorer

Kymco450i: You are right, there are lots of costs after writing signing on the dotted line. I did need a trailer to haul it home and then to the future trailheads. I purchased insurance for it. I had a helmet, but I found a nicer one. I wanted a snow plow. And I splurged on a "deluxe faring" with rear view mirrors.

This thing is a "Cadillac" so to speak. It came with may of the accessories I might have purchased in the first place, including the GPS so I don't get lost in the mountains. I've never had a Cadillac before.

Oh well, no one will call me "spend thrift". I plan on selling my sports car in the spring to replenish the savings account. It is a nice reward after 45 years slugging it out in factories.

David

Old 01-03-2017, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Well you certainly own a "Cadillac" now!!..LOL That was pretty much the reason for buying my UTV, retired after 49 yrs of toolmaking and decided to buy myself a toy. Wife didn't care to ride her atv anymore, so I sold them both and went this way. Now even the wife is willing to go along as long as it is a scenic ride. Last summer she couldn' use it much due to her waithing for another hip replacement but I will not be surprised to see her putting around the yard getting caught up on yard chores she has not been able to get to for the past few years. ENJOY and do post a few pics of that new "Caddy" in use so we can all do a little drooling!

Old 01-03-2017, 07:31 PM
Back Country Explorer

I had the greatest respect for the tool makers in the factories. You guys can make anything. It is a highly technical job from the right materials, programming machine tools, tool selection, and trying to figure out what that engineer wanted in the first place. Hats off to you sir.

Okay, I'll take some pictures at time go along. But they won't be thrilling action shots, just casual sightseeing on the Colorado trails.

David

Old 01-03-2017, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet! Go big or go home! Nice color too!

Old 01-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Back Country Explorer

Thanks hydrex: I know I want way overboard on this one. This "midnight blue" paint was attractive to me. It reminds me of Ford's Super Duty blue jeans blue. Outlanderltd just got a 2016 Limited in that burnt orange "cognac" color. I believe the 2014s were bright white. I think Can Am marketing tries to make the Limited model different to justify the high price. I'm sure it is a high margin machine for them. They suckered me good.

The Polaris 2 up Touring 1000 was triple black. It just didn't ring my bell. What do they say, chunky styling but very proficient performance.

David

Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by dbj216
Thanks hydrex: I know I want way overboard on this one. This "midnight blue" paint was attractive to me. It reminds me of Ford's Super Duty blue jeans blue. Outlanderltd just got a 2016 Limited in that burnt orange "cognac" color. I believe the 2014s were bright white. I think Can Am marketing tries to make the Limited model different to justify the high price. I'm sure it is a high margin machine for them. They suckered me good.

David
You also got a Garmin Montana 650t, Warn winch, front and rear brush guards, higher wattage magneto, power steering, and air adjustable suspension in the rear. I'm probably missing something. It's a great package.

Old 01-04-2017, 07:06 PM
Back Country Explorer

It is a great package if you like your accessories already installed. I added up the retail price of Polaris bumpers, hand brush guards, ITP tires, Montana 680t, Fox air shocks on the rear, and the rest of the package. The retail price was within $1200 or so of the Can Am. The Can Am was still more expensive.

I wait for the the first manufacturer to offer good skid plates as standard equipment on their machines. Maybe Can Am would be first. Seems to me skid plates are a requirement for an ATV. They could even have removable hatches for oil changes, differential services and the like. And they could have solid jack points built right in.

David