Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Thinking about buying this. Thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about buying this. Thoughts??

what do you guys think? He is asking 5500. It looks good on paper to me. I'm checking it out in person today. No trailer though

Thoughts?

2013 polaris sportsman 800 EFI

Highlifter radiator relocation kit
SYA warrior snorkel kit
HID headlights
New front ball joints
Highlifter forward arched A arms
New front and rear brake pads
Brand new factory premier clutch
QSA clutch kit premier spring and weights secondary spring made for 30"-32" inche tires
K&N air filter
E3 spark plugs
New exhaust springs and gasket
HMF swamp series XL also have silenced
14" MSA battle rims
32/8/14 superatv assassinator
Led taillight bulbs
Travelers 3500# winch
6500# synthetic rope 50ft
KFI winch mount
Cobra HD rear axles
Rhino front axles
2in superatv lift kit

Old 03-01-2017, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Honestly, at that price it's probably a scam. You can't find a 2013 at that price around here. I'd be more than a little leery about it.

You could probably part it out and make that much on the parts. Personally, I hesitate when I see a heavily modified machine. So much to go wrong that a dealership won't touch. If the seller lets you ride it for a long time to test it...

Old 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you take it for a good spin...

Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never buy anything that was modded for mud. It's probably had a very hard life. Who knows when it will start having problems? If it has all these mods and new parts why is it being sold?

Old 03-01-2017, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just checked it out. 750 miles. Drives fine, low, high, neutral, reverse all work. 4x4 and 2x4 works.

Id probably get different tires for it though.

some of the body panels up top need some work, but I think I can get past that.

Should i I go for it??? If so, I'll need some riding buddy's down in AL and more when I move back up to the Northeast in the summer.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I would never buy anything that was modded for mud. It's probably had a very hard life. Who knows when it will start having problems? If it has all these mods and new parts why is it being sold?
The guys has a wife and kids and is trying to get rid of it to buy a boat for the family. He works as a helicopter maintainer so he has a decent idea on how to work a wrench

Old 03-01-2017, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
Originally Posted by DStocker
The guys has a wife and kids and is trying to get rid of it to buy a boat for the family. He works as a helicopter maintainer so he has a decent idea on how to work a wrench
I'm with jumbo on this. I wouldn't buy a mudding machine either unless the deal was absolutely too good to pass up and you had the expectations to replace parts.

Seals, bearings, brake pads and rotors, CVs should all be inspected closely even if the machine seems to run good. It's not if the guy knows how to properly turn a wrench, it's the accelerated wear and damage gritty mud can do.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

If you think it checks out, offer a bit less cash, like $5,000. That's a bargain, but as others have said, Mud machines are hard to sell. I talked to my Arctic Cat dealer about a MudPro, he said that he won't sell any mud machines or take one in trade. They are too big a PITA. But it it's been taken care of and you take care of it, I don't see the problem. He's already replaced the front axles, so it wasn't babied. My AC 500 has original axles and almost 9,000 miles, so..

Old 03-03-2017, 09:08 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Do a compression check before you buy it.. Motor could be on the verge of being shot