Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV Model Performance Specifications

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get a lot of this info by gleaning little hits from all those sources. I think Dirt Wheels used to do some test track/lap time comparisons a while back. The problem is it is an off road environment that constantly changes. Testing like some of the auto rags do stays more consistent over the years and that would never happen with off road machines. That and most people run their cars and trucks stock or close to stock. That is rare in the ATV world. HP and torque numbers are meaningless without the dyno maps. No manufacturer puts that out consistently but the aftermarket shops will. Of course you need to take some of that with a grain of salt as they are trying to sell you something. Also dyno results vary a lot on off road stuff just due to tires used. Slicks will register better results than knobbies for instance. The best way is to go nuts researching and hopefully at the end of the day you can ride some in a meaningful way too.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I liked Doug Meyer of ATVTV.com fame gave some of the best reviews out there. If there was something that went wrong during a test he'd share it. If the brand had a lot of problems he'd let his audience know. To the point where some makers stopped sending their machines for reviews. He did a lot of long term testing with Specta out on the Paiute Trail that showed the machines' strengths and weaknesses. Was always a good review to me.
Doug and Specta still do a lot of riding together. Doug calls him Kenny, his real name. I've seen several riding videos they have done together.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Doug and Specta still do a lot of riding together. Doug calls him Kenny, his real name. I've seen several riding videos they have done together.
Yep. They still ride together quite often. Got to meet Doug last fall. Buddy of mine that was their asked Kenny if he could meet Doug. Kenny said Doug is not really into the celebrity/fan thing. Buddy told Kenny that he still had many of Doug's shows from the Outdoor Channel on VHS. When Doug heard this he had to meet us. Didn't get to ride with him as he had things to do but it was nice meeting him.