Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Help.

Hi. With places becoming less and less available to ride, there are about 100 acres of town woods across the main road by my house. I would like to ride back there, but there are a few problems. Right next to it, in a separate lot, there is construction being done. The cops will come back there and try and get you. I have rode my mini bike back there without any problems but a nebhior of mine has a 300ex and he gets noise complaints pretty often and has to run from the cops. I am 16 and around 5'9 so any suggestions would help. It can't be too low to the ground, has to cross a foot deep creek, and deal with the normal mud and ruts and tree branches. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2017, 01:41 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Noise and not asking owners of property about riding just causes more and more areas to shut down or prohibit all off rode vehicles. Find one in your area that does even if you have to have it trailered to the site. Then you can pick and choose what machine you want to ride.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:37 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you and your friend are running from the cops you're definitely doing something wrong and need to quit. Find a legal riding area and people will be glad to give you advice.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:36 AM
Country Rider

I agree with the posts above. Trespassing is bad, but just trespassing is one thing. Your even running from the police!

But I guess I can't stop you so any quad will be just as loud as your friends 300ex. No matter what quad you get, it will be loud and you will be heard

Old 02-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Will mount a machine gun to the back of your quad racks and it's all fixed GTA style

Old 02-14-2018, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Does your friend have a loud muffler on his machine? Loud noise is the number one complaint of ATV use, then next on the list is tearing up other peoples land and leaving trash. If people would ride more sensibly there would not be as many problems. Get permission from the owner, otherwise it is illegal trespassing!! I had permission to ride lots of private land for many years but I am quiet when I ride, don't ride when muddy and tear up their land and never leave trash, in fact I pick up other peoples trash! Just recently a pipe line company came in and leased much of the property to access there underground pipelines so unfortunately they are not willing to allow trespass by anyone. Now all that excess land looks like a dump from peoples trash and the weeds are 4 ft tall.....all something they said would not happen! Your best bet is to get permission and and your offer to help maintain the property for that permission to use it....TREAD CAREFULLY!

Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the problem with a lot of people. They think just because they have an atv, they can go anywhere they like. You don't own that property. Obviously you're not welcome there. Find someplace else. If you have nowhere to ride, maybe just find something else to do. Buying an atv when you have nowhere to ride is a waste of money.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:15 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beartrackeryou
Will mount a machine gun to the back of your quad racks and it's all fixed GTA style
Why do that when you can put 2 machine guns on the front rack?

Old 02-14-2018, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Damn that's cool can you image going hunting with that quad

Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

As others have said, get landowner permission, in writing, before you ride an area. Either that, or get a trailer and go to a trail system nearby. Often clubs take care of trails so if there is an ATV club in your area join up, do some trail work, and keep off forbidden areas.