Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

need advice on used quad

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice on used quad

I have the option of two used quads right now.

The first is a 2009 Honda Rubicon 500 with the following features: electric start, automatic, reverse, 2500lb winch, plow, big wes rear rack backrest.storage, new grim reaper tires, custom rims and hmf exhaust. Waiting on the selling to give me hour/mileage information. Sale price is $3000.

The second option is 2005 Polaris Sportsman 800 with double barrel back brush gaurd, front brush guard, 3000lb winch and stock tires and rims. This quad has 286 hours and 1880 miles. Sale price is $2900

Which would you choose. My main use will be hunting, trail riding, and snow plowing.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

The Hondas are good for reliability. They are also usually the quietest. Polaris is not bad with reliability at all but they are faster and more comfortable to ride (in my opinion). If the Honda has electric shift completely steer away from that. My friend has a Honda with electric shift and whenever it gets wet it fails. He had to weld a wrench on to the shifter I assume and he uses that to shift when it gets wet. In the end would you rather better durability and reliability (Honda) or speed and comfortability. The Polaris would be better for trail riding and snow plowing. The Honda would be better for hunting if it had the stock exhaust since they are usually quiet. However, if you ride gentle and keep the RPMs down I am sure the Polaris will be fine especially because the HMF exhaust is probably pretty loud. IMP I would go with the Polaris. They have gotten better with reliability.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Always check Kelley Blue Book for the value of the ATV and try to negotiate

Old 07-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Rubicon is a very reliable quad. Polaris 800 is pretty good too. Ride comfort goes to the Polaris, hands down. I believe that year also has a storage space under the front rack that's very nice. Polaris will leave the Rubicon in the dust, speed-wise. I believe the transmission on the Rubicon isn't the same electric shift type that caused a lot of problems. You also get a good deal more ground clearance with the Polaris as the Honda has a solid rear axle.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:27 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sportsman will have somewhere around double the horsepower of the Rubicon if that's important to you. I don't think Rubicons that old had locking front diffs. If not the Sportsman would be better for plowing.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:31 AM
Country Rider

Even though I like the Polaris sportsman, the Honda sounds like a bettor deal