Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buying a used quad

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 12:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a used quad

So I'm buying a new quad for hunting. I had a 2007 Honda rincon 680 and I hated it cause it was so weak for bottom end pulling power. I've had 250 and 350 with more pulling power then that thing. So I'm looking at Yamaha Kodiak and grizzly. I am seeing a bunch on these Suzuki Vinson 500, are they any good. Any major issues with these Yamaha's and suzuki's

Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Yamahas and Suzukis are excellent quads, but the Rincon had 38 hp and was too weak for you, you should probably be looking for something bigger, 650 cc up. I have 2 Arctic Cats, a 700 cc gas and a 700 cc turbo diesel. The gas model has 44 hp and decent bottom end, but I'm doing a clutch kit this week. The turbo diesel has scary bottom end torque, but runs out of steam above 40 mph. Guess what, the diesel is more fun to ride on steep and rugged trails, but the gas will top out close to 70 mph. If you are looking at the Yamahas or Suzukis, I think the big bore models would put a grin on for you. Here is a hp chart.

Attached Thumbnails Buying a used quad-atv-horse-power-ratings-1.jpg  
Old 08-14-2017, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Along with the weak engine, the Honda's transmission is also a weak point, they are not geared for low end grunt. Most any atv with a CVT transmission will outpull the Honda automatics

Old 08-14-2017, 10:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda's 680cc engine has about the same horsepower as any other brand's 500cc. If you consider it to be 500-class ATV you realize they don't make anything that could remotely be called a big-bore. The Yamaha 700s will have enough power for most people and Yamaha quality is very good. They're considered a mid-size engine in today's market and if you want anything bigger it will have to be a different brand. I don't know enough about Suzuki to have a strong opinion but they seem to be well built too.