Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which ATV for 6yo Son

Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ATV for 6yo Son

Hoping for some advice on which ATVs to consider for my 6yo boy.

So last Fall, I purchased dirt bikes for my boys 6 and 8yo (5 and 7 at the time) as I have always been a dirt bike guy since my dad started me on one at 5yo. I purchased a Raptor 350 for the wife as she had always preferred quads. Tried a TTR125 for her a few years ago and all she did was run into stuff and fall over a lot... so, yeah..

My older boy took right to his TTR90 and rides so fast that he scares the hell out of me (like I did my dad), but my 6yo doesn't seem to really want to ride his CRF50 and I wont force him if he's afraid. His coordination and balance is just not where I'd like it to be at his age to continue with the dirt bike at this time. But, he thinks my wife's atv is the greatest thing there ever was and wants to ride with her which I will not allow.

So, I am thinking about picking up a little quad for him to ride as I think it may be easier and more fun for him. He's 4'2" and about 65lbs plus all the full gear I make them wear even if they want to sit on the bikes and make vroom noises..

What would you guys recommend I look at and why? One thing I don't want is something too large that he can "grow into" as I'd rather just buy and sell each year and keep the size as perfect as possible. I'd spend 2k-ish as long as the resale will be within a few hundred of that a year or so from now. Also, I do all my own wrenching as I was an auto mechanic in my first career.

I'd prefer something as light and stable as possible and with a governable CVT/rev limiter if one exists.

Thanks!!

Old 09-01-2017, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Pretty much all of the major quad makers kid's quads are made by Kymco. Most I've seen are 70 or 90 cc machines. Good starters. Honda might still make their own but I'm not sure. Looking around I noticed Polaris has a 110 but not sure if there are affordable ones on the used quad market around your price range.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have lots of preferences...can you put them in order?

Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Surely,

Most to least important:

1. Appropriate size and speed (governable) - 6yo 65lbs
2. Stable and easy to ride (automatic, CVT preferred)
3. Reliability
4. Resale
5. Price

Old 09-05-2017, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check this out:
Top Ten Kids Four Wheelers.

That link provides some good feedback on newer 4-stroke models. Some of the older 2-stroke models can be had pretty cheap and are (or can easily be made) faster than the current 4-stroke options - check this vid of a DS90 vs. and "old" LT80:

For the money they are asking for new ones, I was able to build my avatar from an '88 LT80, but building a custom is not for everyone

Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

A DRR or Apex 50cc is a great option. Plus they will last years as you child grows, so can the motor.
Get him 1 good machine and let him enjoy it for years.
They have a working dual a-arm suspension!

Old 12-30-2017, 10:24 AM
Country Rider

First, your a good dad for making then be safe.

Second, id check into an LT 80 or Hondas 90.