First ATV purchase - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

First ATV purchase

Old 11-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider

Yes Honda's are good machines and they are expensive, but their performance is not up to par with other brands. If your looking for performance your going to be disappointed with the Honda lineup. The only other thing I would caution you about is to stay away from the electronic shift transmissions they are a problem and very expensive to fix. The auto clutch transmissions are bullet proof but you cant tow as heavy a load. If you have a Kymco dealership in your area check them out. They started out building engines and drive trains for Honda many years ago but broke away and created their own line. They still build engines for Kawasaki, Artic Cat, and Suzuki machines. In the past couple years they have had the lowest customer complaints per 100 machines manufactured of all the major brand names...good luck in you search

Old 11-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Moto Psycho

One thing I heard about Hondas with the electric shift transmissions should make people think twice if it's even true. I read that if it's in gear and there's an electric problem you can't shift it into neutral to tow it if something breaks.

Whether that's true or not they still put out less horsepower than anyyone else. A Rancher 420 is 26.6 HP according to the first site I found with last year's HP numbers. Compare that to an Outlander 450 that's really only 427cc with 38 HP. That's 11.4 more HP from only 7 more ccs. Every other brand with engine sizes similar to Honda has more power than them, but not that extreme. I know horsepower isn't everything, but it's something that everyone except Honda is good at making. Someone should tell them that this is the 21st century, not the 19th, and they're overdue for an engine update.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:12 AM
Country Rider

Just a suggestion, you could find some far cheeper quads on craigslist