Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

banshee,scrambler400/500 2X4,raptor,400ex,or ds650??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 04:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,
I'm having a hard time on deciding on which quad to get either the 400ex,banshee,raptor,ds650,or scrambler 400/500 2X4.I'm 5'9" 227Lbs.I have about a year of riding experience and I would be riding in dunes and trails.I have some questions about them such as:
1.Which one is the most reliable?

2.Which one will be better suited for the places i ride in and my riding experience?

3.Which one is easiest to turn?

4.Which one over heats the fastest?

5.For the owners of each machine what mods gave the best bang for your buck.

6.Which one powerslides the best?

7.Which one is the most stable?

8.Which one has the lest maintenance?

9.Which one is the fastest?

10.For owners of each machine what are the things u don't like the least and what mods did u do to fix it if u can?

11.Which one wheelies the best?

Thanks,
Dan

P.S.
Sorry for the questions but I really need to know.

Old 05-12-2001, 09:28 PM
Trailblazer

Well personally i would wither get the Raptor or the 400ex. Possbily a Ds650. But the Raptor isnt very good for trails because it is a very high end four wheeler. The 400 is really good all around jsut a tad bit slower the the Raptor though. The DS650 is a good four wheeler for dunes and that type of riding. Personally i think i would choose the 400 because trail riding is big around here.

Old 05-22-2001, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

400ex or DS650 for reliablilty
Raptor is the Fastest
the 400ex is the best around the woods
the banshee you will get the most bang for your buck
Top Speeds
Raptor-75mph
DS650-74mph
Banshee-72mph
400EX-68mph
who cares about the scrambles, but they go about 58mph

Old 05-27-2001, 06:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have owned 2 banshees and I know alot about them. For Dunes get the Banshee or the DS650. Dont get the raptor cause Carbs fly off and the reverse and 2nd gear tears out very easily. Get the banshee for instant power !! But Banshee's have to be rebuilt once a year(winter) only replacing the rings and pistions no biggie only $200 but its worth it cause it flys. Banshee's have been out for 10 years and are very reliable but they are very dangerious. I have seen many people get bad hurt on them including me. The banshee is what I recomend ! Good Luck

1.Which one is the most reliable?400EX

2.Which one will be better suited for the places i ride in and my riding experience? Banshee/DS650

3.Which one is easiest to turn?400EX/Banshee

4.Which one over heats the fastest?400EX

5.For the owners of each machine what mods gave the best bang for your buck. Alot of mods for the Banshee whatever riding style you have.

6.Which one powerslides the best?Banshee

7.Which one is the most stable?400EX

8.Which one has the lest maintenance?400EX

9.Which one is the fastest?Raptor

10.For owners of each machine what are the things u don't like the least and what mods did u do to fix it if u can? Rebuilding once a year and no seat belts lol

11.Which one wheelies the best?400EX// Banshee
Never wheelied on a DS650 or 400EX or the rest of them.

Old 06-15-2001, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

1.Which one is the most reliable? 400EX or Banshee

2.Which one will be better suited for the places i ride in and my riding experience? Trails=400EX/Scrambler 400 Dunes=DS650/Banshee

3.Which one is easiest to turn? 400EX or Scrambler (it has a tight turning radius believe it or not) DEFFINATLY NOT THE BANSHEE!!!

4.Which one over heats the fastest? Beats me

5.For the owners of each machine what mods gave the best bang for your buck? Scrambler 400= You can buy a Pipe and Clutch kit combo for about $250-$300 and the difference is night and day. Remember the 4-Strokes don't react to the mods as well as the 2-strokes (Banshee and Scrambler 400)

6.Which one powerslides the best? Banshee (it's the power slide king)

7.Which one is the most stable? I would say the DS650

8.Which one has the lest maintenance? Not sure, but probably the EX. My Polaris has not had a problem since I have bought it though.

9.Which one is the fastest? DS650 and Raptor

11.Which one wheelies the best? The 400ex, but the Polaris isn't too bad.

To add onto Georgia Banshee's post you do not HAVE to rebuild the Banshee each year. My friend has owned two different Banshee's for over 3 years and not rebuilt either one.

To add onto YZ Riders Post...He's got the speeds about right except for the Scramblers. The Scrambler 500 isn't very fast, but the Scrambler 400 is pushing 64mph on pavement.

Old 06-16-2001, 12:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

The July issue of Dirt Wheels magazine has a very good article that compares the Bombardier DS650, Raptor, Banshee, 400EX, and Cannondale FX440. I recently bought a Scrambler 2001 500 4x4 and am happy with it. I just got back from a 3 day trip on the dunes at Waynoka OK. It is an excellent trail bike but is a little weak on the dunes. Here are the top speeds of the bikes I ran with as measure by GPS:

Scrambler 500 4x4 40 MPH (4 wheel drive engaged, no mods)
Honda 300ex 40 MPH (with paddle wheels, no mods)
Banshee 50 MPH (Newly rebuilt motor, no mods)

All the bikes were run at full throttle for aproximately 1/2 mile. I know these seem kinda slow but the loose sand slows you down more than you think.

I did manage to get some air, doing 8 feet high and 30 foot long jumps. But the landing on my bigest jump was pretty rough. The bike weighs 575 lbs, when gravity kicks in, it tends to fall quicker than most other bikes which weigh 200 lbs less. It is also not as manuverable as some of the smaller bikes.

If you want a great all around bike that can do some utility work and go fast, get the Scrambler. If you want to be the wheelie king and go faster, get the 400ex. If you want to rule the dunes and fly, get a Banshee!!! But the Scrambler will leave it on the trails. I think a Raptor would also be a very good bike for trails and dunes, you may just need to gear down the sproket a bit for trail riding. You don't need all that top end for riding trails through the woods anyway.

Old 06-16-2001, 08:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have 2001 Scrambler 2x4 and so far it's been great where ever it's been. But I would recommend the 400EX, there is no belt to worry about in water, it's lighter, which is good for wheelies ( I wouldn't want a 523lb machine coming over on me) and it should handle better in the tight stuff. Also, there ain't nothin' like a four stroke.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2001, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would agree that the 400ex is a excellent handling bike but I would dissagree about belt slipage on the Scrambler. I have only had my scrambler about 6 weeks and have not had a chance to get it in real deep water but my I have had my Trailboss up to the seat in water and not had any slipage.

Yes I think if you wanted to run in water most of the time it might be an issue. But if you go through a creek now and then and don't plan on using it as a submarine the Scrambler will do fine.

One other thing to consider is your weight. Sit on the 400ex and see how much it squats down. I think they are designed to hold someone up to 210 pounds. That is one reason I got a Scrambler over the 400ex, Also remember the 400ex does not have reverse.

You might check into the Scrambler 400. Its a 2 stroke and from what I understand there are some pretty good mods for it.

Old 06-25-2001, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't read all the posts so if someone answered this sorry, but the most reliable and best handling would all go to the 400EX. Also, if you want some bang for your buck and get the 400EX just go to Powroll and they have bigbore kits that kick A$$. I am a 2-stroke fan but I didn't like my friends 2000Banshee so I am buying a 400EX, I also plan on racing and the 400EX seems to be the best out of the mentioned quads, followed by the Raptor.

Old 06-26-2001, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

First off never listen to "DIRT WHEELS" or "4 WHEEL ATV ACTION" they have the most unaccurate test results, and their top speeds are a joke.

Their both sell outs, who ever pays the most for ads that month gets the best results.

POLARIS is the king of wheelies, I can hold a no footed wheelie on my scrambler for almost as long as I want, no need to shift, keep blimping the throttle.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Quick Reply: banshee,scrambler400/500 2X4,raptor,400ex,or ds650??