Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Big Red need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a chance to pick up a 85 Big Red. The guy wants 1250 for it with a new battery. It has new plastic and the bar has a slight bend. I'm guessin it was rolled at one time. Is this a reasonable price for this thing. I haven't seen it. Should I keep lookin?

One other thing. I want this thing for hunting. I need to cross some streams and get through some snow. I'm talkin normal snow here not 24 inches maybe 6 or so. I want to be able to haul deer out of the woods. I'm 53 and have no intention of seein how fast I can go on this thing. I want it as a work horse. If my wife would let me get a mule...........well that's another story. Am I dreamin here or will this thing do the job without killin me? Are these things really that unstable or is it the rider tryin to go to fast. I sure could use a bit of advise.

Thanks

Gary

Old 06-09-2001, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Gary, the Big Red 250's are extremely reliable machines. In my area, 1250 is about the going price for one in good shape. They get very good traction. 3 wheelers can be tippy, but it really is an issue only at higher speeds.

Old 06-10-2001, 07:32 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. I didn't get the Red I was talkin about but am still in the market. Have you ever had any exp with these things in the snow? I live in Pa and we get a bit of snow. Like I said before I'm lookin for somethin that can drag a few deer out of the wood and cross a few streams.

Old 06-11-2001, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

I've owned two big red 250's, and have been very happy with both. They are excellent in snow, especially compared to 2 wheel drive four wheelers. They have 25" tires and excellent ground clearance. But they are very hard to find. I ended up driving to michigan to buy mine.