Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Rollbars

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2001, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why aren't these machines sold with a rollbar. I really got hurt last weekend when my Honda Foreman flipped back on top of me. I think I could have walked away unhurt it this machine had a rollbar. I searched the web all day yesterday and all I found was a backseat ("backbuddy&quot attachment which may help a little. Check it out.

http://www.atvstuff.com/images/v1/eagsel16.html

But what I really want is a rollbar that can be attached to the rear rack. A do-it-yourself kit. Does anyone know where I can find a distributor for such a product?

Old 06-29-2001, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe you should sell your quad and get a buggy.

Old 06-29-2001, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Not a very helpful suggestion. The machine is 30 days old and cost me over $5k. Selling is not an option. I just want to make the machine safer in case of another accidental rollover.

Old 06-29-2001, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with attaching a roll bar to the racks is the racks can't support 400+ lbs. You would end up being twisted in a pile of steel with a quad on top of it. Try making you foreman wider. Those highlifter wheel spacers look pretty good. Maybe a set of offset wheels with wider tires.

Old 06-29-2001, 02:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

I didn't think about the weight limit on the rack. The tag says something like 120 lb limit. The ATV weights in at 550 lbs.

You're probably right, the support rack could crumble. Then again it did hold up after my accident. After it rolled over me it rolled one more time end over end until it landed on a tree.

I got an e-mail from a guy in California who knows someone who is putting cages on ATVs. Ill post any photos I come across.

Old 07-01-2001, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

You would have to be nuts to want to be on a quad with a roll bar. There is no way you could do it and make it safe.

First, you would have to strap yourself to the qaud to keep from falling outside of the cage. In this case a lap belt would not work, you would have to find some way to strap your upper torso and arms so they don't fly outside of the cage, or hit the roll bar itself.

Second, if your bike has a roll cage attached to it, it is now top heavy, and this will make it flip over even easier.

Third, I have seen quads take some nasty tumbles, like, 10 - 20 flips and endo's down a steep hill.

There is no way I would want to be strapped into a bike with some "half a$$ed, make-shift roll cage and flip down a hill 10 times. I would rather fall off on the first flip and watch the bike flip the other 9 times by itself. I know in my race car I am strapped in so tight I can't even move, this is the only way it will work. With just a single belt, you would be flying all over inside the cage when you flip.

You have to be able to move and stand up to ride a quad, being in a seat belt will never work!

Old 07-02-2001, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Well, here ya go...an actual ATV roll bar.

click here

Old 07-02-2001, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Weird looking alright. Weighs 25 lbs. No seatbelt. The cost is $399. Can be quickly removed when not needed and quickly slides back on when you plan to drive more aggressively.

I think I'm going to stick with the "backbuddy" attachment and stay clear of this monkey gym on an ATV.

thanks for your help

Old 07-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

Don't waste your money! On a nice, steep hill you can get a good 10-15 flips coming down, that cage would crush like a hammer hitting a saltine cracker! And the bar sticking out the back all by itself is a waste of steele! That cage is only for going over backwords on a wheelie, or missing the ramp when you are unloading! That's it!

Do you acually think that cage will save you? If you do, you are nuts! Would you want to trapped in that thing on the way down when your bike starts flipping? And, not seat belt on top of that! Being inside that cage in a bad wreck, would be more dangerous than watching from the outside. I bet if you read the fine print, this cage is made for minor accidents only!

Learn how to ride and you will save yourself from getting crushed by that cage! Trust me, if you do any kind of agressive riding and get into trouble, flip down a hill and the caage collapses, you will feel like your whole body is in a big vise grip when it is over!

Old 07-02-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like someone hit that thing with a case of what-the-f**k! That has to be the ugliest thing I have seen since I played frog baseball. Do your self a favor, the only thing designed to survive a rollover is a honda pilot. If you still want to keep your 4x4, I suggest you work on your riding skills. You don't want to end up like that guy in the Mike's Hard Lemonade commercial, except you'll have a piece of a rollbar through your gut instead of re-bar.

Quick Reply: Rollbars