Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400ex vs. ds650 vs. 660r

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2001 | 03:04 PM
|
Trailblazer

My brother is palnning on buying a new atv, but can't decide on what to get. He called some local shops and got some quotes on different machines. the best he found was '02 400EX for $5100, '02 raptor for $6500, and '01 DS 650 for $6000. We ride some woods, (generally not too tight), some hillclimbing, some back roads, and lots of fields with terraces to jump after crops are out. He thought about the 400ex because it is quite cheaper than the others, but is still undecided. He also considered a banshee because he likes mine, but was kinda looking at these others first. Any thoughts or suggestions?? Is the DS or Raptor worth the extra $?

Old 11-07-2001 | 02:42 PM
Pro Rider

If you're looking for the most bang for your buck, a used Banshee in good condition will be hard to beat. As for performance, they all have their srong and weak points:

400EX pro- great handling; user friendly for beginning sport riders; easy maintainece; durable
con- tame motor; cramped seating position for riders 6' & up; wussy exaust note (sounds like a Recon)

Raptor pro- awesome motor; super cool looking machine; good jumper; reverse
con- tippy; balsa wood axel; tranny durability?

DS650 pro- fast; comfortable (especially for tall riders); great lighting; best mud coverage of all sport machines; on sale for as little as 6k otd last summer
con- terrrible tires; weak wheels (are these things made by the same company that makes the Raptor's axel?); heavy/no reverse

So, are the Yamaha & Bombardier quads worth the extra money? I think so. After owning a 400EX myself for a couple of years and becoming bored with it's hamster powered motor, I was faced with the chioce of soaking a bunch of money into it to give it the power it should hanve had in the first place, or getting a new big bore machine. This is a quandary many EX owners are facing. I opted for the latter and have been alot happyer with the more powerful bike.

They're all nice machines, but your brother may get a little frustrated trying to stay up with you and your Banshee on an EX, unless you stick to MX tracks or technicle trails.

Old 11-07-2001 | 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

The 2002 Raptor has a greatly upgraded transmission (see knowsalot's thread in the Yamaha forum), upgraded axle, and other little bits and pieces. The only real choice here is between the DS and the Raptor. With your present choices, I would lean toward the Raptor. If the DS was the Baja version (for an extra $400) then I would be undeceided. Either one would be great for what you're looking to do with it. The dealers are trying to dump the 400EX's because once the Suzuki 400 comes out with high compression and reverse, Honda'a game is done.