Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Raptor, ds650 or Z400

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a FAST machine that will allow me to keep up with the competition. I have heard many good things about the Ds650, the new suzuki 400 and also the Raptor. I have also heard some negative things as well. Can someone please tell me what is the best machine for the money. I ride on tracks and trails. I also want something that has plenty of after market parts. I know the suzuki is not on the market yet, but all the reviews say it's a baddd hammerjammer !!! please let me know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2002, 12:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'd wait to see what the Suzuki is like.

Old 02-04-2002, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

The DS and Raptor are both good choices, it all depends on your riding style and type of riding you do. Even though I ride my DS on tight trails I think the Raptor is better suited for this. For open trails and sand the DS is king. Don't let the Yamaha guys try to fool you about the Raptor being faster, its not. Stock for stock the Raptor gets the holeshot, they are even mid range and the DS has the top end power. So in the long run stock for stock the DS is king. The DS also makes more HP than the Raptor. The big reason the Raptor get the holeshot is all tires. The 2000-2001 DS's had Kendas that have no traction BUT the new DS's have Ohtsu's and they hook up great. I have a Buddy with a stock Raptor and we raced all the time when mine was stock, we ALWAYS had the same results as above BUT when I bought some ITP Holeshots he never beat me again and he's still trying to catch up. Theres a larger aftermarket parts supply for the Raptor than the DS BUT theres plenty for the DS as well. Dollars for dollars and parts for parts my buddy's Raptor connot keep up with me.......so far. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2002, 08:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

My beleif is the Z400 will rock. I'm just weiry of the first year problems. The raptor and DS are already through this period. Suzuki is great but you never know. Just look at all the problems the raptor had last year and all the changes yamaha made to fix them. Kudos to Yamaha. The DS is a wide tracker. Most of the time no problem trails are usually wide enough BUT there are alot of tight spots here, I'm sure there are there as well. I rode one for only a day and had multiple problems with this. DS- no reverse, Raptor does, Zuki does. This is rider preference. To me Reverse makes a big difference. Especially at 5'09" and 160lbs driving a machine that weighs 400lbs. Lastly, only my opinion, the DS is not worth the extra money. They are expensive. Worht it if you live near dunes but Penn.-you don't. You live close enought to Canada to go there and buy one. Keep that in mind.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:29 AM
The Facility

Being that you plan to ride motocross tracks as well,...there is no need to even consider the DS. The DS got it's name because thats all that it does well...Dune Sport.

If you want reverse then go with the Raptor or wait on the Suzuki and see what it has to offer.

If reverse isn't that big of an issue,..the Cannondale Cannibal should be your pick hands down. By the time you bought A-arms and race ready suspension for the Raptor, you would have exceeded the price of the Cannibal.

Just something to think about.

KNOWSALOT

Old 02-11-2002, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

people talk about how the ds has great suspention .....imo the ds has the best travel but the worst suspention . early last week a customer brought me a ds baja to install a jet kit for him and I took a good look at this machine ..I noticed a smoked chain roller ? thought they fixed this problem ? I gave him one of my home maid ones I still had laying around ....the jet kit and pipe I installed maid nice improvements ....I rode it for apoximitly fifteen min and I did not notice any stearing diferances but did notice a tires hook up much better ...

Old 02-11-2002, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think I go as far as to say its the worst suspension out there. I think its fair for a stock suspension, there are VERY few great factory suspensions out there. For the type of riding I do like woods, hare scrambles it works fine. It could be better but I think its a fair factory suspension with the right adjustments.